Urolift Procedure - February 2017

Posted , 35 users are following.

To give back to the onlilne community, I want to pass on some information about my Urolift procedure for BPH.

First the patient - I am 68, 6ft 172 lbs.  I have had one BPH operation about 10 years ago (TUNA) from the same doctor who did the Urolift.  Other signifcant conditions - HBP and hypothyroidism treated by medicine,  Fairly active physically.  Working very part time.  Enjoying my children and, especially, grandchildren.

Impetus for the procedure - failure of tamsulosin (less than 1 year) to improve flow and with unsatisfactory side effects.

Confirmation procedure - Physician did a cystoscopy 4 weeks before the procedure to confirm this procedure was correct for the geometry of my prostate.  Topical pain medication used.  Was recovering well.  Soreness while urinating was going away after a couple days.  Was given 1 antibiotic pill.  Either from my anatomy or something I did, it wasn't enough and I developed a urinary tract infection.  Very painful 7-8/10.  Needed additional anti-biotic.  In a follow up visit 1 week before the Urolift procedure, things were better and we decided to go forward.

Urolift - Pre-Op:  Was told to stop medicines (including herbal) that would contribute to bleeding - e.g., low dose aspirin and Lovaza (gen).  I stopped the few other herbals that I took.  Continued with the thyroid (levothyroxine) and BP (valsartan/hctz) - the latter was stopped the day of and taken later when I got home.

Surgery location - like many, this was done in an ambulatory surgery center, not a hospital.  In my case, the center was run by the urology practice.

Procedure:

Cost - I am not going to focus on cost, because everyone's coverage is different.  As I understand it there are 3 bills - urologist, anaesthesiologist, facility.  The latter asked for a same day payment.  The others bill.

Procedure schedule - 1:30 pm s

1)12:30 pm -- Reception review and confirmation of information and stoppage of food/water/medicines 12 hours before procedure

2) 1:00 pm -- prep for surgery, viitals, IV started.  Met with urologist for last minute questions (mostly on activity after the operation).  Met with anaesthesiologist - she doubled checked food/water stoppage and looked in my mouth (I realized post facto looking for dentures).  Administered fetanyl - following was told by others

3) 1:30 procedure - was told it would take 30 minutes.  My wife was shown before and after polaroid of the opening of my prostate.  What she described looked like the photographs in the Urolfit pamphlet.

4) 2:30 pm approx - As I came out of the fetanyl, I was not as groggy as I expected.  Strong urge to go, but nothing coming out. I walked to the bathroom myself holding onto the pole containing the saline feed for the IV.  I had 4 bloody (medium) urine drops come out.  They said that was enough.

5) Given instructions on post-op procedure - primarily minimal activity for a week.  I was given the ok to do walking.  Which I tried 2 days later.

6) Prescribed antibiotic for 5 days.

Ride home - I live 30 min. from the surgery center.  We had plotted places to stop in case I needed to before I got home.  Did not have to stop.

First day - very sore starting and stopping urine flow.  Later that day it seemed flow was stronger, but hope might have colored my perception.  Ate sourdough waffles (my wife is great) late afternoon.  Ate a light dinner later. Forced myself to drink more water than I usually do (thanks to my wife) Sat up.  Couldn't go to sleep until 3:30 am.  Slept for 2 hours.  Went to the bathroom. Slept for 2 hours.  Note on clothing.  Since I expected some bloody urine, I bought and used Depend pads for a couple of days until the blood stopped.

2nd day - soreness about the same as the cystoscopy procedure.  Sign of blood was fading (didn't want to look too closely, though).  Stream seems to be stronger (my wife said she could hear it too).  Once I get the urge to urinate, I have to get in there fast.  Urine flow starts quickly.  Had to change pants once as I was not careful.  Stopped the use of the Depends pads as there was no blood visible and I started having better control of the stream.

I will post follow ups.  I am scheduled for a Uroflow PVR (check of flowrate) and urologist follow up two weeks after the procedure.

I am writing this to help people who are faced with the decision on what to do with their BPH.  I am not an advocate for one procedure or another.  This is a personnel decision.  As you know, this is anecdotal.  We are all different.  Yet, we are also all the same.  I would like to thank the others who have posted on this forum.

7 likes, 170 replies

170 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had mine in July of 2015.  Rode home with a blanket over my lap and my penis dangling in a pee bottle.  Glad I did...but was a 135 mile ride back home.  Love the results.  Takes time to heal, but we do. 

I was told up front that insurance was good to go (Arizona blue cross and medicare and medicare supplement)...wound up getting a bill because all three insurance outfits refused to pay.  Was over $18K.  Turns out the urolift people have a team of lawyers to appeal.  And they did.  I wound up with a copay of $1,200 which I was glad to pay.   Had fun with it.  When I got the bill I called the hospital and told them I was my brother and that I had been found dead on my living room floor clutching their bill...

• Posted

I am fighting BCBS now. Agreed to pay then reneged.  
  • Posted

Mark, sounds like things went well for you, and your post will definitely help others.  To my brothers-in-suffering, I might offer a gentle reminder.  Guys, let's not forget about a phenomenon called POUR (Post Operative Urinary Retention).  It's a strange condition, and here's what I mean by that.  I've had several minor surgeries ... on the feet, and two major surgeries ... on the hips.  Think about it.  The surgeons were nowhere NEAR the prostate, but I lost the ability to urinate completely on several of these surgeries.  The etiology for this condition isn't known.  Logic tells us, however, that if urination can be affected by seemingly remote surgical procedures, the likelihood for urinary retention would increase exponentially, when surgical procedures are performed on the prostate.  Please keep this in mind. 

• Posted

Good point alan. My understanding is the anesthsia is the culprit. On a side note kind of, I had no retention after my colonoscopy  which used conscious sedation Maybe a different thing IDK
    • Posted

Thanks Alan.  Some information to file away for the future.
    • Posted

Alan I just had a uro lift procedure on June 16 and have not been able to be without a catheter yet . How long did your sympathies last ? Do you have any advise you could give me ? Thanks
    • Posted

Ronald, I believe that there are probably others who have had this procedure that might be able to help you.  My original post was about my procedure. I think that it only represents a small group of people who have had the Urolift procedure. Others have posted on the Urolft in general.  There are other posts that may be more active than mine (i.e., have more people looking at them).    If I were you, I would search out some of these larger posts.  If you have trouble finding them, send me a note and I will take a look for you.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Final Update

I stopped the tamsulosin (flowmax) on doctor's advice immediately after the operation.

I started walking 1.5 miles on the 48 hours after the procedure.  I had to take it slower than usual.  I noticed a couple of twinges in the area where the prostate surgery was.

The next day (3 day after surgery) I saw blood again in the urine and a small clot came out.  Even though I knew it was possible, because the bleeding had stopped, I was surprised.  No bleeding after mid-day on the 3rd day.

Rested the next two days.  On the 5 th day walked 2 miles, no reaction and no bleeding the following day.

Resuming activities - the week after I began light weights at the gym.  I even tried jogging a mile.  As you might guess, not jogging for 9 months, it was 2/3 run 1/3 walk. Getting off the tamsulosin was a big deal. I anticipate my enurance will improve.  Note: I am a 10 min/mile pace for a 10K - no speed demon.  I enjoy running which I started 40 years ago to prevent/delay type 2 diabetes (father/grandfather - successful so far).

Nocturnia - Before the op, there were nights when I was up every hour.  Average was about every 2 hours.  The night following the procedure I could not sleep until 3:30 am.  I slept 4 hours and woke up once to pee (some pain controlled by ibuprofen).  2nd night - 6 hours without waking up.  That hadn't happened in years.  In the two weeks since the operation, once or twice a night.  Mostly once.

Stream - day after the operation was the strongest stream.  Presently, there is a noticeable improvement from pre-surgery.  There is a still a slight sense of urgency.  I think some of it is psychological.  Before the op, I had a few accidents.  I think the embarrassment of incontinence is a big deal.  I can go longer between bathroom visits during the day.  Urologist says that the urgency will diminsh over the next few months.  I am hopeful.

Blood Pressure Medicine - I took home readings of my blood pressure since I stopped the tamsulosin.  As I guessed it would, my pressure increased.  I called my cardiologist and asked for a prescription.  I had my bp med lowered soon after I started the tamsulosin.  So, I am going back to the original level.

Post Op Evaluation - Drank the liter of water and had flow measured 1 hour later.  Ultrasound of bladder revealed no retained urine.  Addressed a minor concern about stone formation.  Urologist said that he has seen no issues regarding that with this procedure.

Conclusion - I am greatful that the procedure recommended by my Urologist worked out successfully.  My quality of life has improved.  I am also greatful to the men who have posted on this forum.  Some of us have had success.  Some are working through issues.  All of us have helped others with the discussion of our experiences.  All of us will help our sons and grandsons find better treatment.

• Posted

HAHA.  I should use spell checker (or learn how to edit posts) - "nocturnia" - because I am starting piano lessons (nocturia).

"greatful" - no excuse (grateful).

Hopefully my wife, the teacher, won't read this.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

?    How's your running going & do you have any effects from your procedure. I ask because I run alot of 5Ks.

Thanks for your posts,

?      Ronnie

• Posted

I have no noticeable effects from the procedure.

Last year, because of the tamsulosin, I stopped running.  I have started running about 10 miles a week.  I believe that my present slow pace is the result of lack of training rather than anything procedure related.  Never a fast runner (in 2015 I averaged about a 10 min/mile pace for 5K and 10K's), I am slowly increasing my mileage and will target a 10K or 2 in the fall and maybe a 5K in August.

Biking is a different story (see note below on my spinning class experience).  I am not sure if sitting on a bike saddle is impacted by this procedure.  Here also I am taking it slow.  I did a 3 mile bike ride last week and did not observe any problems.  Like the running, I am going to slowly increase mileage as the weather gets better.  While I run during the winter outside at temps above 30 (in my 50's and below it was a 20 degree threshold), I only bike at temps above 65.

Hope that helps.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  Don't push the recovery too fast.

• Posted

Is it true that Chopin wrote his best nocturnes during repeated trips to the bathroom throughout the night due to his BPH?  Just askin'

• Posted

Interesting that you would mention Chopin.  I would have thought that some members of this site might be frightened because they would not have thought of the French pronounciation of his name but the colloquial English pronunciation.  That might have reminded them of their Urologist.

Actually, Bartok's Night Music might be more of an inspiration from those of use who suffer prostate issues.  As it was the hope of sex (he was infatuated with a 14 year old), that might have influenced his compositions (an ignorant layman's (me) reading of history).

HAHAHA.

• Posted

Mark, tamsulosin is what I was on and the side affects were unpleasant. I saw a urologist and explained to him about the tamsulosin. He immediately told me to get off of the med. Instead, he prescribed Alfusosin 10 mg, once daily. The med helped my with my erections as well. Give this med a try.
    • Posted

I'll keep this med in mind.  It's better for those who may get cataracts (my family history).  So far, the Urolift is working.  The tamsulosin multiplied the effect of my blood pressure medicine, even after I reduced the dosage.  I suspect that the alfuzosin would do the same thing.  I might try sildenafil for the erection issue.

• Posted

Hello Mark, speaking of cataracts, take this how you may but I am getting rid of cataracts using castor oil. The castor oil I'm referring to is organic form which means hexane free, cold pressed, cold processed castor oil. It dissolves the cataracts which I'm now noticing them disappear slowly. Two drops in each eye before bedtime. I use a small bottle and squeeze 2 drops into my eyes. The droppler gets pretty messy. I can now ,after 3 months of using castor oil, notice a drastic change in my vision(right eye with cataracts}. I'll keep using it for as long as it takes. Give it a try

• Posted

I'll keep it in mind.  Have not been diagnosed with cataracts, yet.  Only one of my grandparents had it (not the parents), but I have light colored eyes. 

• Posted

Rudy Boy,

What were the side effects you speak of when you took the Tamsulosin ??

Thanks,

Bobby

• Posted

Some of the side effects include Chills, dry cough, sore throat,low libido,light headed, chest pains, decreased amount of semen, ( that freaked me out), back pain. Of course my side effects might be different from the next guy taking tamsolusin. But the alfusozin works great for me. thanks
    • Posted

Greetings, Just checking in with you on how you are doing with the alfusozin. Here is my email address. Drop me a line.   ………...I am now off of alfusozin. What a turn of events.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

greetings bobbya, well, I have exciting news. I am no longer on alfusozin. I did some studying on enlarged prostates and found out that I was able to cure it myself and its been 4 months since I got off of alfusozin. if the prostate is actually inflamed then it can be deflamed with all natural products. I tried sending you an email so you could contact me but moderator refused it.
    • Posted

HI Rudy Boy, good to hear from you and the exciting news, I am all ears, send me a PM, if you can, than we can exchange contact info. Its funny you contacted me at this time. I just made an appointment this morning to get a second opinion from a urologist hear in MI. we are only hear another couple weeks and then we have to head back to Fl.

I will be looking for your PM,

BobbyA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.