Urolift questions

Posted , 9 users are following.

It sounds like the Urolift procedure works very well for many men. It seems the procedure helps men pee freely again and also improves the ejaculation issue as well. In spite of these bennefits, a swollen prostate remains swollen even with the Urolift procedure I would assume. For men who have had the Urolift done I am curious about the following. After you are healed from the Urolift procedure, even though you may pee more freely now, is the hesitation to start a urine flow (from having a previously squeezed uretha) now eliminated by the Urolift procedure? Also, because the prostate is still large do you still find after the Urolift procedure that you still have to go to the bathroom over and over again?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just to add..iam with Ken on this... i had the standard TURP 4mths ago, sure i am ok now, but still occasional nights of 2-4 visits to pee(ok depends on fluid intake? ) but the Urolift procedeure is judging by reaction and info,is what i should have pressed for here in the UK !! If you can push on ! hope this may help, regards Syd
    • Posted

Yes, I think Urolift is the way to go. Thanks for the encouragement Syd.
    • Posted

Yes I think it is very good.  Had one done 2 month's ago  Doing great.  Only thing I am writting to the company to see if they can change a few things.  With the urolift you do not need a catheter.  When I had mine I talked to my doctor and we decided to put one in.  I have a problem peeing on demand. I only had it for 2 days. It was a pain but it was worth it...  I know a couple of men on here that had it done and both ended up going back the the hospital and having a catheter put in because they could not pee.  Now they fine.  It new and there still working it out.  The  doctor put it in while I was asleep so didn't feel it going in.  And when it was taking out  I had now problem emptying out my bladder  Good health guys...Ken    
  • Posted

Hello guys, Im new to the site as well as the Urolift.   I have been researching it since Oct.  Contacted Urolift directly and they assisted in locating a uroligist near me, well like 80 miles out.    Had the procedure done just 2 days ago,  (Friday),  I relized on Sat. morning that I was not peeing,  2 hours later I was in the Emer. room at the hospital getting a cath.

Even tho I have Ins.  I was budgeting for this procedure, so now I have probly a 2000 hospital bill to deal with.    However I am totallly looking forward to awsome results.    One lesson I have learned to hopefully pass on to someone else would be to NOT get the procedure done on a Friday our you could end up with some issues,  at least if it were on a Mon-Thurs. one could always go back in to see their Doc.     I will say also that seeing that my bladder is being emptied I actually feel better with that alone!

Blessings friends,  Anthony.

• Posted

You will be fine, Anthony, trust me. About Friday....Well, it depends. I had my Urolift actually done on a Friday! No problem, no catheter, I couold pee immediately, a bit burning only first time. In actual fact, I was glad I had done it on a Friday so I had the week-end to rest a bit before going back to work on Monday. So I guess it depends perhaps a bit on you, we are all different. chees, Roland.
    • Posted

Hello anthony  I am glad it doing great for you..  I had one done 2 month's ago.  I had a catheter put in because I do not pee on demand.  I am talking to the urolift people to see if they would put a catheter in arfter for at least 24 hour.  I had it in for 2 days.  I think it help with the clots Your about the firth one that I heard that ended up back in the hospital because they could not pee   Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Well Roland,  i went to get my cath removed after 2 days, they removed it and told me to stay in town until I went pee and then come back in,  since i live 85 miles away.   So after 4 hours of drinking water and walking around I finally went and I thought after all I have drank I should have went more than what I did.  So I went back in and they did a ultra sound on  my bladder and said I was still 75% full or more.  So back in it goes,   Will try again Thursday, Wish me luck!  Or a prayer would probly be bettter!   Just wondering if anyone out there had an issue or concerns with their bladder possibly beeing too expanded over a period of time to now be the big problem?    Thanks for the read,

Have a good evening guys!

Anthony

• Posted

Hello Ken, I put a shout out to Roland with some events of my day and the whole cath. thing.   Thought I would ask you to give me your opinion as well,

Thank You Ken!!

• Posted

Hey Anthony.  I had mine in for 2 days also.  Had it put in because I was scared that I would not pee.  The day I had it removed THey put in 250 cc of saline.  Before he put in the last 50 I was ready to go.  He make nurse ask me if he should count to 3 before he pulled it out.  I told him no.  He started to pull and I shoot it out there was pee on him the floor and also about 3oo cc in a bail.  He told me to go home. But I went out.  I was also ready.  A couple of days before I stopped and got make pads and had one in .  I was glad.  I drove about 20 minute to the place I was going and I was getting out of the car and had to pee.  I did not nake it into the building.  I pee right there.  It was a releaf.  The pad held it all.  It has been 2 month's and doing great.  I am sorry your having a problem  You will feel better in a week or 2   Ken
    • Posted

Thank you Ken for your story, at least that part of it.

and thank you for your positive note as well !  I appreciate that!

Keep on peein!  LOL

• Posted

Hi Anthony, I am sorry but have no experience in catheter since I did not need one. I really cannot comment on this one. Thank you for sharing your story. cheers, Roland.
  • Posted

I just joined this forum and just had my Urolift 7 days ago.  I see the last posts are 7 months old and am not sure this is a good place to include my post?  But I would be interested to hear about current health from those who had the Urolift several months ago. I am 58 years old and have BPH.  I have been on Tamsulosin for several years.  Increased urgency and frequency were my symptoms.  I was getting up to urinate maybe 1 - 2 times/night. Urolift seemed the best option for me based on the minimal post op problems.  The proceedure was done at my urologists office and took a little over an hour. I have a low pain tolerance, I guess, and thought the proceedure was painful.  I had 5 fasteners "installed".  I had no catheter and experienced blood for about 8 hours.  Painful urination lasted about 5 days.  At 7 days now I am still getting up 1 or 2 times a night but often I am not sure why because I think I coul have held till the morning.  I do still feel "pressure" especially in the tip of the penis and inside when I urinate.  Since its only been a week for me, I am interested in others on this post who responded up to 7 months ago and what they currently think about having had the Urolift.  Thanks for any feedback.  

Bob

• Posted

Welcome to the Uro club, a very prestigious group!   Probly only 1/10th of 1% of the men in our country have even heard of it,  which includes my primary care physician.

You and I have a lot in common, I am 57, also BPH (which is why I had the procedure done.). My urologist told me that he had installed 5 clips as well.  I had my procedure approx 8 months ago, so it was an extremely new procedure then, at least now some of  glitches have been worked out and more and more Drs are aware of the procedure and still great reviews.

In my specific case,  1 week after the procedure I had to drive  a moving truck from Calif to Texas, so before I headed out my dr put a foley cath. In me beings how I was going to be on my ass/prostate for 3 days.   It was in convienient but not uncomfortable, one this was sure is my bladder was empty the whole time!    As the next few weeks passed I started to see a better and better flow, as a matter of a fact it was so good and strong that I took a video from start to finish and showed my primary care physician as he was curious as to how the whole "Urolift" thing went, because he had never heard of it so I asked him during a recent visit if he had a minute to look at my video and he was very impressed and said to me "that's what I need to have done!".    So the procedure does work.

However some things you need to know if your BPH has been many years as you say, (mine too has probly 20 years) then chances are that your bladder has been stretched out and almost like a balloon does not have a lot of compressive strength until it begins to fill up quite a bit,  as mine has to get up to around 400cc befor I really feel the urge to go,  so the whole bladder thing is an entire different issue that probly. Needs to be addressed.   Currently my uroligst has me on a medication called chlorodene or something like that, it causes the bladder to want to restrict and provide one with a more compressive bladder.  

In my case I also have a Low T #.   So I opted to try a something called the "Testopel"   A tiny pellet inserted into your side and a slow dose of testosterone in fed into your body,   After calculations my dr. Came up with the number of 10 to be put in and that should last me 6 mos.   Well it did and my T# was floating around 700.   With out anything at all my # runs in the 200-250 range.   Too low for someone as active as myself.

One downside to that is about after a month my urinating became slower and slower and I could tell that I was retaining too much,  come to find out my system was counteracting the testorone by causing my prostate to want to swell up.    So now since that is out of my system things are much better, so be careful of anything like testerone and anything like beneydryl or sleep aids such as Sominex which is almost pulley psuedodedadrene (? Spelling). I was also taking one a nite to help me sleep and all time was going against my prostate.

Now to finally end this short novel, yesterday I had a cystoscopy done at my urologist,  and I watched the whole thing on a big screen tv.   Saw the inside of my bladder walls, the entire urethra and the prostate, the dr narrorated the whole time, I saw the ejaculatory gland and the opening the the Urolift helped to open up.   He said the he was very happy with what the procedure has produced.    However Iasked him why did I not see the actual clips that he put in and he said that they have since been completly encased in the tissue either they have sunk in or the tissue has simply grown around them.   Very interesting to actually see everything after the fact!    Hope that helps.    Also give yourself about a month to really come out of the woods and I think you will be fine!!

• Posted

Anthony,

Thanks for the update.  I appreciate it.  Did the doctor have concerns about the prostate growing around the clips/fasteners?  I was hoping that this proceedure would last for many years.  Although my urologist said that he has had patients who cam back for a 2nd proceedure to add more fasteners.

Bob

• Posted

Hello Bob.  It's going to take arount a month for you to feel better.  I had mine done in April of 2015.  Had 4 implants.  I only had a few days of burning.  But in a week it was fine.  I stopped all pills and sleep all night when I did go to bed.  Some men heal faster then others.  You should be fine.  Take care.  If you need to talk E-mail me  Ken  
    • Posted

Bob.  They can go up to 6 implates I have 4 and they have worked fine. Had mine done last April.  I do have a problem with infection from a stricture. Got it from kidney surgery 13 years ago.  I'm 60 now.  It hit my prostate in december.  I was on ciprofloxacn 500MG 2X a day for a month.  The infection messed up one of the implants.  Having the procedure done friday the 19th of Feb..  He will remove the one and put a new one in.  I do not see any problem.  My urologist call the company and did tell them about the one implants.  They will work on some improvments.  My doctor has been doing them from 2013.  He has done over 100 and I am the first one he has to replace one on.  Ken
    • Posted

Ken,  Thanks for the information.  Good luck with the proceedure.  Let me know how that goes, if you get a chance.

Bob

• Posted

Hey Bob Just got home.  Akk went wekk.  I am bleeding alot but that is because I;m on eliquis.  Had him check everything in there and the bladder is good and my prostate is smaller then it was last year.  Talk later just took some pills going to lay down  Ken  
    • Posted

Ken, Sounds like good news. Rest up. Would like to hear how the replacement procedure went, when you feel better. Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.