URQ pain normal tests, help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering upper right quadrant pain since september 2015, it is now august 2016.

It started with pain under my right rib which would come and go, very intense pain and also in my right shoulder blade.  It would come and go.  I saw a doctor in spain and he said gallbladder problem so i had ultra sound which was normal.  i was then referred for a ct scan (initially mri but due to having metal fragments in my eye it was ruled out) and the ct scan was normal.

Pain gradually got worse and now is constant, it doesnt go away only changes between extreme pain and mild pain.  I am 83kg and have a very or should i say had a very active life.  exercised 6 days per week and taught martial arts.  I am now house bound, have lost my business and im going around the bend.  Had atleast 10 trips to AE for pain and feelings of having a heart attack.  any exertion at all causes further pain and spasm in the aera under my rib and has at times taken my breath away.  Im 34 years old, dont smoke but used to drink alcohol most days in small amounts but have not drank at all for 3 months.

All bloods are normal, amylase, bilirubin only very slight raise in ALT liver.

When i breathe in and pull my tummy in i can put my finger on the exact spot of the pain, and when i touch it its like ive been stabbed or shot.  Pain changes between the front and into my back and sometimes up into my neck and down into my leg.

Ive seen several different GPs, its difficult to see the same doctor more than once in my surgery.  I am now under the care of a gastroenterologist who has me scheduled for a HIDA scan but i fear that will come back normal also.

I feel like im going crazy, in the space of 9 months ive gone from super active, healthy, happy individual to constant pain, miserable and feel like im dying.

The gastro isnt convinced its my gallbladder and all the doctors do is give me pain management in the form of nefrapam and buprenorphine.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  I feel like cutting my abdomen open and turning up to AE so they will have to look inside....

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't know if this will help or not but I wanted to second the comment that gallstones can hide. Was having severe attacks in my 30's. ultrasound was normal, bloods as well. Then all was quiet for years. AT 49 was feeling really weird and kind of sick feeling. Bloodwork showed liver enzimes up. Ultrasound showing packed gallbladder. Had to wait 6 wks for removal. Lost 16 lbs due to not being able to eat any fat at all. Post surgery my gastroenterologist asked me if I had had any symptoms prior. I said yeah 12 years earlier but they could'nt find anything. So be aware. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.