Ursodiol medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone taken Ursodiol fo help shrink gall stones?  If so, what was your experience?  I have gall stones (surprise, surprise!) and I know my doctor is going to recommend surgery but I don't want to have surgery at this time--I'm a big risk--and I'd like to try the medication route for six months or so to see if that would dissolve the stones.  The biggest one is 11 mm--I have no idea how big that is, can anyone tell me in terms of inches?

Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have came across various journals and researches which says it takes 6 months to 1.5 year to see ursodiol to work,especially if the stones are formed due to cholesterol,  It can be used for both low function and gallstones. Definitely worth a try before removing gallbladder if you can follow strict diet for atleast 6 months to see if working.
  • Posted

Hi, my husband is going to have a gallstone flush this weekend I will let you know the update after.
    • Posted

Please do post how it goes. Is he planning to do a ultrasound after the flush to confirm the stones are gone ?
    • Posted

Why do you want to subject yourself to more pain nausea etc.... Even if you try to dissolve stones they can return. Its a waste of time and health. I had keyhole surgery I feel so much better. So my friend think about it hard. Its your livelihood at stake here. I would have surgery and just get healthy. Good Luck
    • Posted

You can take a low level course of Urso then the stones do not return. It is  essential to read the numerous USA research papers on that treatment before rubbishing it. If you don't think Urso dissolves stone where have mine gone & also no symptoms for over two years after stopping the course.

• Posted

Your biggest stone is 6mm smaller than my biggest one WAS as it is now about 10mm and if you work that out re the calcs it was 17mm at least diameter.........  I will be taking another course of Ursodioxycholic acid

to dissolve the two small stones that are left when I feel the need but at the moment I do not have any symptoms at all...

Please read my posts that I stated the truth that I did not have any adverse side effects on my course of

Urso in 2015.  I cannot believe that all patients with cholesterol gall stones are not given the chane to dissolve then rather than jump straight in and have a cholocystechtomy...... Once it's gone it's gone and not all folks who have had their gall bladder removed are totally free of problems I see......  Many sufferers still

suffer after their gall bladders have gone!

If you read my posts you will see I was refused the Urso but an eminent Gastro surgeon wrote me my first script for it and my GPs who all refused it then had to repeat my prescription. They refused on the grounds that it was not proven to work which is utter rubbish and is a blatant refusal to believe what is true.

It really makes anyone genuine suspicious of their motives. Are they not there to care?

• Posted

I researched Ursodil when I first knew I had a gallstone issue. And I did ask about it I was given the same advice by both my GP and 2x consultants for what its worth smile

It's not a recommended treatment except for patients who are unable to undergo surgery and not just because of the side effects more because the chance of it being successful is small and even if it works it can a: take years to dissolve stones and b: they'll come back.

It was academic for me as it turned out my stones were too large and numerous anyway.

Best Wishes

• Posted

For a start did you read my posts that a registrar who forcefully told me she was a professional and knew all there was to know about gall stones had never heard of Ursodioxycholic acid?

It does work but the ignorance dished out by those who should be prosecuted for lying goes unnoticed

and they simply get away with their lies........

All professionals should get their finger out and learn the facts before spouting crap.

A gall stone is a gall stone provided as I've already said it is the cholesterol type because that is the only type it will dissolve. It will chemically be alcaline & so will be dissolved by the higher level of bile acid.....  quite why there is a notion that if there are several stones it will not work is absolute nonsense.  If the stones are dissolved it is possible to take a low level of Urso to prevent more stones forming & yet it has been said on this forum........ Gall stones will return and form again you know. They will if a person does the wrong thing.....

• Posted

But I feel worth to give try for 6 months to see if helps...if not surgery is always there.My GP won't prescribe ursoacid for me sad

• Posted

NHS short of money but not only that but it seems in many quarters wisdom too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.