ursodiol or actigall? anyone take this medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

My DR has prescribed ursodiol for my GB to get me by until I can get the surgery, it is expensive and I'm not convinced it will help for a month.  Any experiences?  My ejection fraction is really low, they can't find any stones on MRI or Ultrasound

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You can still have an inflammation of the gallbladder which is bad. Just because no stones doesn't mean diddly squat. You need a hida scan to see if it's working or not. Demand and be vigilant. If gallbladder isn't working that ruins your whole digestive system. Hey Good Luck.

• Posted

I had one hida scan a year and half or so ago that was good.  I convinced them for a second one last week as I wasn't getting any better.  Here are the results I got:=10ptTECHNIQUE: 5 mCI of technetium 99m Choletec was given intravenously and planar imaging performed. At peak gallbladder filling, CCK was administered and quantitative data was collected.=10pt =10ptCLINICAL INDICATION: Nausea and abdominal pain=10pt =10ptCOMPARISON: 5/13/2016=10pt =10ptFINDINGS: =10pt =10ptInitial tracer concentration in the liver is prompt, homogenous, and of normal intensity.=10pt =10ptThe liver appears normal in size, position, and configuration =10pt =10ptGallbladder visualized at 45 minutes post tracer administration.=10pt =10ptSubsequent images demonstrate prompt excretion of tracer into the small bowel. =10pt =10ptThe calculated gallbladder ejection fraction is abnormally low. The percentage is likely not accurate as the gallbladder appears to still be filling at the time that quantitative analysis was performed.=10pt =10ptNormal range is >30% at this facility.=10pt =10ptPatient reported symptoms after administration of 8 ounces of Nepro.=10pt =10pt =10ptIMPRESSION:=10pt1. No scintigraphic evidence of acute cholecystitis identified.=10pt =10pt2. Findings suggest chronic cholecystitis.

I have a surgery consult next week.  I am going to try and wait till the first of the new year due to insurance deductible nonsense.  Trying to suffer through the nausea and fatigue till then.  

• Posted

Hi burner,

What is your ejection fraction? My HIDA scan showed my gallbladder functioning at 9%. 

Haven’t been to surgeon yet, still waiting for an appt to be evaluated.

• Posted

They did not give me an ejection fraction just that it was abnormally low (less than 30%) it said the EF was inaccurate as my GB was still filling.  It says there is evidence of chronic colecsystitis
  • Posted

I have came across various journals and researches which says it takes 6months to 1 year to see ursodiol to work, can be used for both low function and gallstones. Did you try Ursodiol ?
  • Posted

I guess I should have updated this thread.  After reading the side effects and success rates with ursodiol I chose to not take it.  My GB was removed Jan of 2018.  Nausea is gone, gall bladder was badly damaged from Chronic Cholecsystitis.  No stones but my second HIDA scan (I had to demand it) showed an abnormally low ejection fraction due to Chronic inflammation.  
    • Posted

Thanks for update . What symptoms were you having with the gallbladder before surgery and how do you feel after removal?  also what are the side effects of ursodiol ..?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.