Urticaria & Alkaline Drops - Help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help. I've been doing some research, and thankfully, I am quite glad I am not the only one with this condition! My family and friends don't understand the stress and pain that urticaria causes. I am 23 years old, living in Scotland. I was intially first diagnosed in April 2016. I have had facial swelling causing me to attend out of hours appt's and A&E. I have been on 7 prescriptions of prednisolone. I have visited dermatology (second follow up appt in Sept) and given fexofenadine which made no difference. I have tried every other antihistimene under the sun to no avail. I did notice Benadryll make a difference in the beginning however this soon stopped.

I was drinking around 5 pints of water a day, which started making a difference, however also now not helping any.

I am completely at my wits end. I feel down, ashamed and embarrased. I was diagnosed yesterday with an under active thyroid, and have been given 50mg of levothyroxine. I have to continue on this for 2 months before getting another blood test to possibly up my dose. With being on day 2, I guess I was hoping I would see a difference straight away but still have extremely itchy skin and still covered in red and painful hives.

After looking at forum after forum after forum, one thing that seems to be helping alot of people is alkaline drops. How many alkaline drops to you put in a glass of water? and how long does it take for this to have an effect? I am prepared to do this diet every day for the rest of my life if it means no longer having urticaria!!!

Any assistance is helpful.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Laura

Ive been suffering with Chronic Urticaria now for a few years. Initially it was limited to my hands but over the past few months my arms and legs have been covered in hives.

The anguish it causes (mental and physical) is highly underrated. Moreover, it ravishes your skin leaving marks, which in my case, take months and months to even heal a bit.

I was on Fexo and steroids (pills and injection) and nothing was helping. I had a 150mg injection of Xolair (biological drug) and havent had a hive yet. Plus have been eating normally.

I am still on 4 x Fexo a day and weaning slowly off the Prednisone but the Xolair seems to be helping.

You need an injection every 4 weeks and its expensive but maybe worth investigating.

Good luck!

Vera

• Posted

Hi everyone!

Just want to give you all an update! So, I was diagnosed with under active thyroid, and was put on 50mg of Levothyroxine. This reduced symptoms slightly however it soon flared up again. I have since had a follow up blood test to see if my dose needs increased.

I also had my second dermatology appt. The doctor gave me cetirizine to take 3 times daily, and also Ranitidine to take 2 times daily (one in the morning and one at night alongside cetirizine) and I am finally free of urticaria!!! I started the medication on Saturday 24th, and so far so good (touch wood!). My skin still feels a bit itchy from time to time, however the hives have disappeared! I have a follow up dermatology appt in another 2 months so will see how it goes from there, however so far I am pleased with the results after a long time of suffering!

I would suggest anyone who hasn't been put on this yet, to ask your gp about trying it. There is no harm!

Laura x

• Posted

When you mean free you can eat what you want now without breaking out ?  I. Can't wait for that day 

• Posted

Its such a coincidence that you say you were diagnosed with under active thyroid because I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also swell up in the face as well smh. Do you think maybe there's a lin between the two? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.