Urticaria and RA.

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, I was just wondering if any one with RA also has bouts of Urticaria and if you considered it linked to your RA?, I have RA and some time back I started with physical Urticaria it kicks off about this time of year, and just now it's driving me crazy with itching.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes Martin, like you it drives me mad.  I take Mizzolen which does help.  It can go on for weeks and then completely disappear for a while and then back with a vengeance.
    • Posted

Hi, my Urticaria is on the side of my face and around ears and back of hands, it's pretty aggravating.

• Posted

I've not had it on the face, but just about everywhere else especially my arms, lower back and waist areas.  Do you take anything to try and help it.

• Posted

Urticaria is not linked to RA; rather, it is a side effect on the meds you take.   If you google the different meds you're on you'll find 99% of them list rashes, uritcaria, hives etc, as a side effect.   Evertime I change meds I come down with a skin condition of some sort, urticaria , without doubt, being the worst of them.   I'm about to start a new med, and you guessed it, urticaria is a side effect.   Not looking forward to that.

• Posted

Hi Tony, mine is physical urticaria due to heat/cold this time of year, told by Dermatologist, but just had a bad cold which I reckon made it a lot worse, this is my theory.
  • Posted

Heat always makes rashes, hives urticaria worse, at least that's my experience.

• Posted

I saw a dermatologist for the urticari and he gave me scripts for steroid creams which actually made it worse.   Unfortunately I couldn't get him to listen so I did some research and in the end I found the cause was possibly due to coversyl.   Not too sure what cleared it up but as well as deleting coversyl I also used saline, sorbolene, goat soap and a UV light.   The saline solution (very strong) I dabbed onthe affected parts and it gave instant relief but I found I had to shower again about two hours later and then apply sorbolene.   The saline solution will burn and make the rash worse if left on for too long.   

So, plenty of sunlight, a strong saline solution for about 1-2 hours, then a shower followedby sorbolene.   Nowadays, I just shower with water and nothingelse and follow hat up with Derma Veen.   And of course removing the coversyl and soap.   give it a shot, it worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.