use of alpha blockers

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have high BP and have taken Atenolol for over 20 years. My Gp had now added in a small dose of Doxazosin which is causing problems.

I had a labyrinthectomy in 1999 and also have a lazy eye. With only half my balance mechanism and only half my focused vision my balance is always compromised but with years of VRT I lead a fairly normal life.

However the alpha blocker has caused my vestibular system to decompensate. My GP doesn't understand. Am I right to stop taking it?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My BP had crept up and my GP added a low dose of Doxazosin. After about half a day I started feeling dizzy, it was just a bit of light-headedness at first so I persevered. A week later I had to stop it, I felt dreadful. I didn't dare drive because my head was spinning, it was horrible. I was scared of falling all the time and it didn't have much effect on my BP. I'm taking Moxonidine now with no side effects bar a slightly dry mouth. I hope you get sorted out OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.