Use of Amitriptyline to cure Tinnitus

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been prescribed amitriptyline to cure my tinnitus and have taken it for 16 days and do not see any change except it is more pronounced and I get more fatigued when walking. I am suppose to take it for one month but I will stop taking it today. This drug is not for me. I can live with this noise in my ears but this drug no. Any offers.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I developed tinnitus while taking amitriptyline.  Don't know that the meds were the cause, but amit certainly didn't cure it!!!  Lot os side effects to amit - be careful going off of it, might want to cut back slowly even though you have been on it a very short time.  The withdrawal effects can be really bad.  But others have reported no bad effects, so is an individual matter.  I have been on it for 20+ years for ibs and anxiety - and now working on coming off of it.  I have cut my 25 mg down to 12.5 over a 4 month period - a little each month.  Good luck.  I really am not sure there is any cure for tinnitus - wish there was.  

• Posted

Very strange, I developed tinnitus whilst taking 25mg of Amitriptyline. I have cut down gradually to 20mg and already have had an improvement. It's far less frequent and for less time. I'm also trying to reduce my dosage and finding it very difficult. I have less brain fog and more energy but sleeping is terrible, waking up every 15 or 20 minutes. This has been going on for 2 months now and still struggling but I'm determined to come off altogether in time. Over the years I have been prescribed many different drugs but never had anything as mean as Amitriptyline! Good luck.

• Posted

I agree the interruption of sleep is about the worst withdrawal from Amit. I take a fourth of a 5 mg ambien and that usually gets me a good night's sleep.  W/o sleep, I can't function so this is the only way I can come off of it.  I usually go to sleep first w/o it and then if I wake up and can't go back to sleep within about 20 minutes I take it. Lately I have had a few nights where I haven't needed it which is encouraging.  I'm about ready to make another small cut - to put me close to 10 mg.  My tinnitus hasn't changed much - I notice it more in the evening, but to this point thankfully, it isn't debilitating.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.