Use of emuaid

Posted , 4 users are following.

My elderly aunt has had two outbreaks of schingles over the past year, now suspected postherpetic neuralgia.

She is trying emuaid but appears to have, at times, increased discomfort.  She has used nearly a tube ( supposed to last 1 to 2 months0 in a week.

Could this be causing a problem using too much ?

newby question - anything recommendations to lessen pain ?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Aloe vera gel helps relieve the itch and stops infectgions when i scratch, iget the itch which isnt painful but does drive me near demented, capsicum cream i got from doctors helped but was near as annoying owing to sweat and  rubbing eyes etc...be very careful with tea tree oil u have to  dilute it as it will burnskin...i am due an appoinment at dermatology this month so wll hopefully get answers  then.
  • Posted

As an individual who has had recurrent severe shingles for 20 years along her facial and acoustic nerve, to come through the ear canal, every 3-5 weeks, may I suggest the following? If your aunt has no allergies to medications and is not on many other medications, I would ask her physician for lidocaine patches. I use Auralgon ear drops, containing benzocaine, a local anesthetic which soothes the pain. Since she is suffering from post herpetic neuropathy, the best treatment is an anti-seizure medication, or Lyrica, and/ or a Narcotic such as oxycodone, codeine, or hydrocodone, depending on her level of pain or discomfort. I take Topamax 100mg twice a day, which is an anticonvulsant, as it lessens the pain when I have shingles and reduces the post herpetic neuropathy. Lyrica is a weight gainer. Topamax is a weight loser. As she has gone through the homeopathic cream too quickly, it obviously isn't working. The older one is, the more excruciating the pain is from shingles. Most physicians fail to treat the pain adequately. I hope this helps your aunt. I truly know how people suffer. I am a Nurse Practitioner, Retired, but feel strongly that no one should ever suffer. Please let me know how this helps.
  • Posted

Thank you very much for thehelpful replies.  My aunt is taking other medication, so will see what the doctor has to say.  Will keep posted on any developments.

Thanks again - your time and willingness to help is much appreciated.

• Posted

After ten years of recurrent shingles, thanks to this discussion group, the answer is L-lysine, an over-the-counter supplement.  I take 1000 mg a day to keep it at bay and if it recurs, 3000 mg a day.  It's really decreased the duration and severity of symptoms and has been nothing short of miraculous.
  • Posted

Thanks - I'll pass it on and hope it works for her.

I'll be away for a week so apologies if late response to any further posts

• Posted

Unfortunately doctor not able to prescribe other medication.

However, good news emuaid is proving helpful now.

Thanks again everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.