use of oxygen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Have read where oxygen is really not to help the lungs so much as to help the heart. It works so hard pumping and the oxygen is supposed to help. Have been using oxygen for a week, mainly at night when I sleep (it dries out my sinus and eyes so badly, even with eye drops and saline for nose....) but in using the oxymeter  (what measures it from the finger) the pulse is still high in the high 80's sometimes 90, even at rest. I use the nebulizer but it is only occasionally that I can cough up mucus (and yes what a relief, breathing is better) does not happen often. It is hot and humid here in Arkansas and the last 2 weeks feel like a prisoner- want to be out and drive to pharmacy, local store, - the weather takes my breath away.  I put Vaseline in nose, yeti pot, eye gel for eyes, but between oxygen and a/c (which I feel is expelling some bad air) it is most uncomfortable. It is depressing, even though I try to lighten up - do not have friends that can drop things and come take me out...just venting a bit. What do you use to alleviate symptoms?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Just want to say hello. I have a rare pulmonary fibrosis type condition which is progressive and which will require oxygen down the road. Also may have mild Asthma. I live in Ohio, and we also have hot and very humid weather.  It bothers my breathing.  I wish you the best of luck in finding something to alleviate your symptoms. Best regards, Cheryl
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks Cheryl. Just have to make sure I do not stay out in the heat and humidity long, and look forward to Fall and Winter - LOL. I actually have been using my imagination - imaging snow, or gentle rain. I see myself walking, playing in the snow - this helps. Or playing in the surf inhaling all that lovely fresh salt sea air.....those are the healthiest things I can think of and they do help. It helps to know others with breathing issues are bothered by the climate. My pulmonary doctor has agreed the climate here (also allergies big time coming in from Okla, Mo. Ks.with AR. create unhealthy breathing. So we do the best we can.

• Posted

Hi Antoinette99244

Unfortunately down South here, Texas, Arkansas etc, there isn't much we can do accept stay under the A/C as much as you can..if you have COPD. Hell, the heat here is hard on people who DON'T have breathing issues, much less, those that do. I use oxygen 24/7 so I understand. The best way to moisten things up a bit is put a dab of Vaseline in the nostrils and on your lips when you go somewhere. Some folks say no but a dab doesn't hurt and it works. The best thing is to use a distilled water bottle with your home unit. That keeps it moist. The supplier can give you all that you need. Not the Dr. Anyway...Let me know

• Posted

I am just using oxygen when sleep - when I take if off I have about 40 minutes of heavy breathing, and I simmer down. Am trying not to get use to it too much for I as yet do not have a portable unit - and am just pacing myself. when you say distilled water with unit what do you mean? (I do use Vaseline and it does help, saline spray helps. I have a compressor size of box a/c one buys at walmart - I plug it in wall and it is set on 2 and with long tubes it is pumping air?? What is it doing in that compressor that to just plug in wall and  air comes out, if it is what  we breathe it is not very clean.
  • Posted

Hi Antoinette

What we've always been told by pulmonologist, cardiologist & electrophysiologist is that the oxygen is for high stroke risk people who also have reached a certain point in various lung diseases. Yes, COPD can increase strain on the heart. But oxygen will not bring down your heart rate, just hopefully increase the oxygen saturation in your blood. oxygen saturation, also known as blood sats or just "sats" (short for saturation levels) is the main thing measured by the oximeter.

I have bronchiectasis in addition to COPD. When I was diagnosed with the BX, I was told that my heart rate would no longer go below the 80s. No one ever mentioned tgat with COPD but the pulmo I have now is much better than my old one.

Your air conditioner may well be spewing bad stuff. What kind of filter does it use & how often do you clean or replace the filter? If it's a window unit, you get almost 100% of whatever you'd get if you went outside. If it's a central unit, use a better filter than the cheap blue fiberglass ones, or at least use 2 of those rather than just one. If the house is 10 or older, get your vents cleaned if you can possibly afford it. Also, carpeting, rugs & cloth-covered furniture hold a lot of dust mites, dust, dirt & dander.

Your oxygen machine should be fitted with a moisturizer function. You have to supply the water & you have to keep that clean. It will help some.

• Posted

Hi aitarg35939

You have given me so much info I needed. Thank you.

I live in a small apt. myself. It has a wall to wall rug (not mine cannot take it out) did not know about moisture bottle...will get some distilled water and call people to install the attachment to the machine.

Also the management puts in new filters every 3 months (central air)...have micro suede furniture. So thank you for all the tips. will put them to use.

• Posted

Antoinette, unless that is a very expensive apartment the ducts & vents have never been cleaned. Possibly the unit itself hasn't been cleaned but skip that. Also, I can't imagine that they use anything but the dirt cheap blue fiberglass filters.

Talk to the manager to see what kind of filter is used. If I'm right, ask if you could pay to have a better filter out in every 3 months. If yes, fund out what size & buy some one of the pleated 3-month filters on the market. Ask at the same time if you can have the carpet professionally cleaned, at your expense, then insist that cleaners use the anti-allergens shampoo.

Lol, I just tried out a Silver Sneakers core exercise. Got down on my hands & knees as prescribed ... and started sneezing. My carpet is ancient!

Do you use any allergy meds?

• Posted

I use Allegra, and Fluctosone for nose. I have had the carpet professionally cleaned without chemicals last time was 3 years ago had someone move the furniture....no one available now, carpet people will not move furniture. Will ask about vent filters, they are the cheaper ones with find out if I can pay for the more expensive ones.

True the vents have never been cleaned....I think something is being done this month. Thank you for all the information - will use it. Really needed it.

• Posted

Goodness Antoinette, you really are having a bad time.  You haven't mentioned inhalers, do you use them?  I use Ventolin as a reliever, Spiriva once a day and Fostair twice daily prescribed by my doctor.  I also take steroids when needed which is only around three times a year.  But this will probably not mean much to you as things are so different where you are.  I hope you have access to a Pulmonary medic.  Very best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi,

I do have a pulmonary doctor, use Spirva, nebulizer, Symbicort....do not know if they really help, doctor just feels for my condition of chronic bronchitis what I am using is good, nothing too strong. .

Doing what I can thank you for your help.

• Posted

Oxygen is prescribed when arteriel blood gas shows low oxygen saturation, in this regard someone with low blood oxygen saturation is prescribed oxygen in order to keep blood saturations up and thus protect the organs including the heart.

People using oxygen should not be using vaseline as it contains petroleum any product containing petroleum should be avoided.  Speak with you oxygen supplier about this and your respiratory team.

From medlineplus :-

"DO NOT use Vaseline or other petroleum-based creams and lotions on your face or upper part of your body unless you talk to your respiratory therapist or doctor first.Products that are safe include: Aloe vera. Water-based products, such as K-Y Jelly.2 Feb 2016"

It could be likely this information varies from country to country, but do check with the oxygen supplier and respiratory team to get a clear understanding of this, or go to the suppliers website and search safety using oxygen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.