Use of Softeners

Posted , 2 users are following.

Fellow haemorrhoidectomy survivors

How long did you guys use softeners post op ?? 

I read ppl haven’t come off them even months after the op ...

Is this the norm ?

I suspect I’ll be on them for a while ..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From what I have read, many people stayed on stool softener for a long long time. I’m 4 weeks post op without pain but still taking softener. My surgeon told me to stay on it as long as I am comfortable and adjust it slowly according to the softness. Unlike laxative, you body will not depend on it. 
    • Posted

Hi 

I couldn’t see ur response to my earlier question 

Juar says awaiting moderator “

Curious to see what you said 

My post was abt breastfeeding and hormones 

• Posted

Hi

I'm 8 weeks post op tomorrow and I'm still taking 2 coloxyl /senna twice a day and about 10 mls of lactulose. Some days I drink Metamucil once a day also . I'm drinking anywhere beteeen 1.5-2.5 litres of water a day and have increased my Fibre in my diet before surgery . If I feel I'm going to be passing a harder stool I use 1/2 gycerol suppositories . I'm so worried of being constipated and passing hard stools as I get pain after and aches/throbbing still . I think I may have a small thrombosed haemorrhoid developed too. My GP reckons taking all this is ok , I'm seeing my surgeon this week for my first check up so will check with him if what I'm doing is ok . I'm worried about becoming reliant on all this to keep me regular and soft stools . I can't believe this is still such a big part of my life 8 weeks on ! 

• Posted

You’ve gotta be from Australia?!

Me too if u are

I’m on coloxyl without senna and started movichol

I’m paranoid abt cinstipation 2 

Not fun!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.