Use of Steriods

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering for years with chronic back pain and non specific pain areas. Doctor refuses to label as fibro though agrees I have the common symptoms. Anyway, 2 weeks ago I came down with a nasty chest infection which required steriods and antibiotics. Throughout the period of taking the drugs I noticed a marked improvement on my pain. I guess that the rest from work had something to do with it however I finished taking steriods on Saturday, by Sunday I can hardly walk as my back has gone into spasm yet again.

I was wondering if anyone had similar improvements while on steriods or is the just a coincidence?

I return to work today and know how much I am likely to struggle. Joy!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bill, long term use of steroids isn't good for you. I'm awaiting pain block and facet joint injections for spine problems, ask about the pain block. I'm not diagnosed fybro but I have ms. Good luck, I know how horrible spine pain is.

• Posted

Hi Bill,

well I've not had to take a course of steroids for anything, but have had steroid injections into many of my joints and my back.  With my back in particular, I noticed a difference within a couple of days and the pain was definitely less for a couple of months, so there could be some connection there.  It might be a good idea to have a word with your Rheumatologist.

• Posted

Hi bill38615,

I had a severe reaction to something I'd eaten, a few years ago. On leaving a&e, I was given a 3 day course of steroids......I did see an improvement in pain intensity.

I mentioned this to my gp ...she paid little interest ...I then told the pain clinic whom I was seeing for some 6 weeks only and they said they wouldnt prescribe this for my FM....they did speak of steroid injections and then went on to say that they had found that in the cases of FM the injections had little or no effect, long term. I've been dumbfounded ever since because all other medications I've been steered toward by my gp have given side effects of nausea, itching rashes, zombie like state, sleeeping too much, out of control feelings, swellings, etc

And they were the usual....gabapentin, pregablin, amitryptiline, duloxetine, and naproxen.

So for 5 yrs+ I've been on co-codomol 15/500 which on severe days don't hit the spot.

So yes I hear you bill...and I hope when you're back to work your struggles are few.

Kind regards

Angie

• Posted

Thanks angel, not sure if the steriods are connected but seems too coincidental. I will speak to my GP at least letting them eliminate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.