Use of Vicks or saline spray and ENT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi , as anyone used Vicks or olbas inhalers to try to cure blocked sinuses and eustachian tubes ? I noticed that if i chewed (which opens the tubes) and inhaled Vicks i seemed to get a menthol blast to the ears.Can this be bad for the ears ? I have tried something similiar with saline spray - to get the spray direct to the tubes thru the nose. I am not entirely sure if this is working or not.......my ears do seem to be improving. and the tinnitus seems a bit better too, but am a bit concerned of any negatives effects

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi mark, I don't suppose you saw this on motivational doc? I follow him on Facebook and he posted something on this yesterday. I dont get tinnitus but I have started following this site after a double ear infection which has left me with 2 blocked ears and an increasingly stiff neck, shoulders and upper back (probably from being so uptight about the feeling in my ears which is flaring up my health anxiety!). I have tried sniffing olbus oil today and feel slightly better but I'm just walking to the shops as we speak to get some menthol chewing gum because I thought the combination of chewing and menthol might help.

• Posted

No had not seen it. Vicks is definately a fab product that works (but beware buying rip offs of it on Amazon that come from India and dont work) anf i have been putting it on my top lip to help keep my sinusus clear overnight. Let me know gemscott how you get on.

• Posted

That's a coincidence, it was added to his Facebook page last night about trying it for tinnitus. he posts all sorts of health related things which I find quite useful- advice on sleeping positions for different issues, self help techniques involving pressure points and stretches etc. its worth a look for general health help if you're on Facebook or he's on YouTube. I've just been chewing some strong menthol chewing gum for half and hour and it generally feels a bit less blocked in my ears. my ear blocked feeling comes and goes throughout the day so it's hard to say for sure that it's related but I'll keep trying it and also get some Vick's to try at night

• Posted

I've used Olbas oil & similar products & they work only for a very short time.I think it's just the menthol that gives the tubes a bit of a kick.After three years several xrays & MRI's I've still not got a diagnosis of why I have huge pressure in my head & ears.

Thankfully no pain,just immense pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.