Used Otomize Ear Spray: Sudden Hearing Loss after Use

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there! Any advice or even just opinions would be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

Issue Description

I have had an ear infection for about three days now, and ended up booking a private doctor video-call appointment as I really wanted antibiotics (my immune system is terrible and exams are incoming). I have experienced some fever an hour after the ear pain begun suddenly and with force three days ago at night. Somewhat warm since but not a full fledged fever. Experienced jaw joint pain for a couple weeks before (unusual for me).

The doctor could not see into my ear as it was too swollen. I was prescribed this spray as well as some oral antibiotics. The instructions of the spray say it may cause hearing loss and should not be used with a burst eardrum.

Just as I used the spray I've gone deaf in my left ear. I used to be able to pull my ear lobe down to hear perfectly before; not anymore. I've tried to clean it out with an ear bud. No success

I have no idea if I have a burst eardrum. I have tried to use ear cotton buds to poke about and try to clean it out a few times before the doc appointment. When reaching in deep I would feel serious pain but not where the eardrum should be; more around it (possibly because of the inflammation).

I don't think I'm experiencing any vertigo, and I don't think I've had any discharge. I also don't think I've felt any liquid trickle past my eardrum further into my ear. I do have serious tinnitus in the now deaf ear but I probably had that from before; the silence might just be overemphasising the tinnitus.

**ACTUAL QUESTION

What is the possibility that a small ear perforation might cause permanent hearing loss from using 'Otomize' once?

and

Is it really that easy to perforate an ear drum with a cotton bud while being quite cautious? Can a cotton bud cause only a small perforation without causing extreme pain?

Thank you so much!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Okay so, Otomize Ear spray is topical, it would not cause a perforated eardrum. Excessive use whilst also having a perforation, is not recommended. You CAN use Otomize Ear spray when you have a perforated eardrum, it just has to be used sensibly in moderation and not exceed probably 5-7days.

Otomize would not cause permanant hearing loss. A perforation may cause temporary hearing loss and can effect people differently depending on many factors including tube dysfunction, anatomy, where the perforation is, attic space, etc...

Yes, you absolutely can definitely rupture your eardrum by sticking objects inside it. Cotton buds are 1 of the common causes of ruptured eardrum.

Sticking ANYTHING in your ear will cause some degree of irritation. This can manifest as pain, inflammation, redness, soreness, etc...

I would say, if you punctured your eardrum, you'd absolutely feel a lot of pain and then it would gradually reduce to mild pain. There may still be some inflammation from angry tissue.

I've had 6months of persistent ear problems, got sepsis due to the condition being poorly managed and now need a radical mastiodsectomy (drilling out bone) and a muscle graft over my eardrum as it failed to self heal. That was after 13 flights in 15 days around Kenya on safari and I went in the swimming pool for 10 seconds which is where I got the infection from. I then flew and my left ear sustained a double perforation... 2 holes in the eardrum mid flight, my nose and ear was bleeding for hours

Personally I feel your problem is a mixture of inflamation (due to putting things in your ear) and hearing loss possibly sue to the angle of some Otomize sprays location. Fluid in the ear from any source can actually cause an infection. Prolonged antibiotic usage without taking pro-biotics such as yoghurt, will cause both good and bad bacteria to be destroyed in the ear, allowing rise to Anerobe infections.

MY RECOMENDATION

Hot bath... don't get your ear wet at all. Tilt your effected ear downwards towards your shoulder, effectively trying to drain the ear. Stop putting anything in your ear, no cotton buds, no finger, not even Otomize spray. Give it 2 days, if it's not better then present at A local urgent care centre or urgently see your GP (face to face in person). Then you can get an accurate medical opinion after actually seeing your ear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.