Using a cane with OA

Posted , 7 users are following.

My mother is 67, she has moderate osteoarthritis in her knees and severe osteoarthritis in her left hip. She also has osteopenia. I think she needs to start using a cane but she won't hear it. There is so many studies that show that using a cane is tremendously beneficial in OA patients. She was referred to an ortho surgeon and has her first appointment coming up. I don't want to tell him in front of her that I think a cane would help because I know that would irritate her. from your experience do you think there is a good chance he will tell her to use a cane?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If your mother has fallen while trying to walk, her doctor will either suggest a cane or a walker, depending on her walking difficulty. If you don't feel comfortable discussing this in front of her, try calling the doctor's office ahead of time and have a note about your concerns put in her file. The doctor will see the note and will probably suggest a walking aid during the appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.