Using a walking stick for security !!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Folks,

I am a year Post Op TKR (with a re-do last July) but still feel I need to use my walking stick although I am not in any pain now! I might add I used if before the knee op for stability and back problems and it does help to get a seat on public transport (ha!) but am I just using it for security....I have tried a short distance without it and it was much missed as my balance was a bit awry and i am afraid I may have a fall..... but having used one for so many years it will be hard to say farewell....perhaps I should just use it on alternate walks/occasions but I don't feel safe without it...a very trivial question tbh but has anyone else experienced this and have any advice how I can discard my trustee stick ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi There, I would first talk to your doc but my suggestion is to try strengthening with yoga exercises to improve the balance and confidence. Google which ones are safe for you. Then try going without cane in the house. Good Luck!

• Posted

Pilates is easy to do and it strengthens the whole body and in my case eliminated chronic back pain.

• Posted

If you are using it for balance don't give it up before you deal with the balance issues, both suggestions above are great. If it's just a dependence issue I weaned gradually. First I forgot where I last put in the house and had to walk to it unaided in order to use it. Finally I stopped using it in the house, but still used it outside. Gradually outside I found myself either leaving it in the car, only for quick short stops, then walking holding the cane up most of the time. It's now with me in the car, haven't used it in ages but it feels good to know it's not far. Take your time and when you're ready you will stop using it, there is no good reason to stop. If you fear falling you probably will. Better to be safe.

• Posted

my balance took a while...I found using two very lightweight walking poles very good...so not really taking much weight at all...I used to use them to enable me to walk fast....this helped overcome my concerns that I might fall. also yoga and continuing with exercises helps. I found anything to strengthen my glutes was good, and also improving my core strength. I found with time things have improved. my husband cannot keep up with me now, which is great fun...it's very exciting walking around so freely and with good pace...I got so used to moving slowly.

lots of walking on reasonably flat ground, as fast as possible with poles was what helped me. walking up and down in a swimming pool is also good.

• Posted

Hi Missmagwu,

I had my first TKR done 9 weeks ago. My Physiotherapist encouraged me to walk unaided at home in front of a full length mirror focusing on not limping. He said that I had limped before my TKR and it is how my brain thought i had to walk. By walking and looking in the mirror I can see if I limp or not. The goal was not to limp. I now walk with no limp unaided at home but for safety I use 1 crutch whilst walking outside.

Good Luck.

• Posted

I still use my cane when I have to walk long distance don't us it around the house I do keep on in the car just on case I am 1 year still working on balance listen to your knee

• Posted

I'm also a year post op and havent used a stick since about 3 months, walk about 6 km a day with dog no problem. Only feel a little unsure going down steps, maybe do some sort of exercises fir balance?

• Posted

Thanks to all for your replies re using a walking stick....I don't need it in doors and I don't drive, so everywhere I go is on public transport in UK but being in central London there's a lot of it.....

I sometimes get balance loss in kitchen when turning to different work surface, maybe I'm not picking my feet up enough....

Good idea re any sort of exercise class to try and sort my balance...Pilates wont do as I can't get on/up off the floor on my own due to back surgery and probably my level if fitness (ha ha)...so I am researching some classes in my area and have found what I think could be just the ticket - charity run too, so no expensive fees to join and minimal charge for classes and they do all sorts of classes from all types of art, dancing, exercise, concerts, coffee mornings and many social events and is only a short bus ride away - long shot of anyone knows the London Borough of Islington - it's called the Claremont Project ! And although I live outside that borough they have funding for some people outside the area....perfect ! Mind you if you want to learn to play the ukulele you need to provide your own, as with castanets....lol - that really made me giggle......so here's to a fitter, more sociable me...just what a 70 year old girl needs who lives on her own......BUT a huge thank you again to all of you for your support on this forum...great bunch of knowledgeable people and fellow sufferers......THANK YOU and my very best wishes for 2019 xxx

• Posted

A good Pilates teacher will adapt exercises for you. Mine says you can do any floor exercises standing or seated. I hope you find an exercise class that works for you.

Before I was discharged from hospital one of the physiotherapist's told me to practice standing and balancing without my stick, making sure my weight was evenly distributed. Maybe you could practice standing on one leg holding onto the back of a chair or standing sideways with your hand against a wall until you're confident to do it without holding on? Could you also try taking your stick, but not putting any weight on it, or buy a folding stick that you can carry and just use if you feel vulnerable or in a very crowded place?

• Posted

Thank you Lynda - I will try that balancing act and also find a good class at the place I mentioned...hopefully I will be stick free by this summer...that's my plan if not before...x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.