Using and removing eye makeup after cataract surgery - advice needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone - I found this forum while I was researching IOL options a few months ago and found the information very helpful. Now that I've had my surgery, I'm still reading posts and still finding useful nuggets of advice. After much research and consideration, I had the Alcon IQ Toric lenses set for distance implanted in both eyes. I am three weeks out from my first eye and two weeks out from my second eye being done. I'll post some thoughts about my experience with these lenses separately, but for now I'd like any of the women here who wear eye makeup to help me get past my anxiety about restarting the use of makeup as I have not yet done so.

My surgeon advised waiting two weeks after the second surgery so I am at that point now. I don't wear a lot of eye makeup (light shadow, undereye liner, mascara, and brow pencil) but I do feel I look much better with it on and certainly want to go back to that. I have read to get new makeup in order to avoid any bacterial contamination and to clean any brushes used. No problem with that. My biggest concern is taking the eye makeup OFF. Historically, I have used the little white pads saturated with oil free eye makeup remover and then followed that up with warm water using a washcloth. I have a (perhaps irrational?) fear of rubbing the pads too hard on my eyelids now and potentially causing problems with the IOL. (I was of course advised not to rub my eye post surgery, but not sure how long that advice needs to continue...)

Anyway, I've been looking online and found some videos made by a Dr. Rupa Wong, who is an ophthamologist and also talks a lot about makeup and beauty ... she's quite engaging! Through her site and some others, I ordered two products last night from the We Love Eyes line (tea tree oil makeup remover and a little brush to help gently apply it) as well as a product called Eye Scrub Sterile Eye Makeup Remover/Eyelid Cleansing Pads. Figured I'd try both and see which I might like better. They both seem more gentle than the product I've used in the past (despite the word "scrub" in the second product). Dr. Wong also recommended the Clinique rinse-off eye makeup solvent, but that's pretty pricey so I'm just holding it in my back pocket for now.

Soooo.... long-winded way of asking -- can any of the women here speak to your experience resuming the use of eye makeup after cataract surgery? How long did you wait, did you have any problems with it, what did you use for removal, and what tips, if any, can you share? I know this may seem like a rather trivial subject, but after spending a lot of money on my new IOLs and wanting them to remain in good shape for the rest of my life, I don't want to do anything that will inadvertantly jeopardize them!

Thanks so much for any help provided!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I would wait at least 6 weeks after your last surgery, until your eyes have completely healed. Until then, embrace the French way: emphasize either your eyes or your lips, but not both. So for the time being, get a new, perhaps bolder, lipstick color. 😃

• Edited

Hmmm, I don't normally wear lipstick (except on rare "dress up" occasions), but maybe it's a good time to add that to my makeup routine! Thanks for your thoughts.

• Edited

Hi - glad your surgeries went well and your recovering nicely.

Not sure I was overly cautious or not but I waited 6 weeks before putting on eye makeup. It takes that long for eye to fully heal and then there is the eye drops that I had to use for that period of time several times a day. I also used artificial tears as i had dry eye. Didn't want makeup to get into my eyes with all those drops. i also had more pain in one eye that even a wash cloth lightly touching it would sting. Everyone heals at a different pace but I would recommend waiting till at least till the drops are done with.

• Posted

Thanks ... not sure I will wait the full six weeks but I may wait a little longer, perhaps until the drops are done as you said. I am also using artificial tears several times a day for the dry eye issue. I don't have any pain in either eye ... just some discomfort from the dry eye syndrome and some occasional stickiness from the drops. The artificial tears (Systane brand) have helped a great deal.

• Edited

I so appreciate the four replies I’ve just read and have signed up for this site. I have 10 days left of eyedrops to complete both eyes, and also I’m a bit leery of wearing eye make up. I usually just wear concealer under my eyes and eyeliner on lower and upper lids. In addition it has been not quite three weeks since my second eye was done but I do look forward to wearing I eye make up again as I’m looking a bit haggard. Ha! Also what is the best way to remove it. can I just use soap and water like I’ve done in the past? Any reply would be greatly appreciated .

• Posted

On the rare occasions when I wear eye makeup, I use eye makeup remover (Lancôme Bi-facil) on a cotton ball. I find that does a better job than soap and water, and you can control how much liquid is going on/near your eyes.

• Edited

It is worth keeping in mind that the incision made to remove the natural lens with the cataract, and implant the artificial lens is just made with a diamond blade. There are no stitches used to close up the incision. For that reason it would be prudent to avoid anything that causes you to rub your eye or eyelid for at least 3 weeks after cataract surgery. You do not want to open the incision which has to heal and close up naturally.

• Edited

I had my last cataract surgery in February 2022 and checked my instructions from the surgeon. They said no makeup, water, etc., in the eye for 10 days. This is because the incision has to heal and they don't want any chance of infection. Everyone's incision will heal at a different rate. I thought he told me not to rub it for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure. I know it was very difficult not to rub it because I have allergy eyes as well as dry eyes. My surgeon implants the medicine in the eye(s) so there are no drops (just a black blob like a floater that dissipates over a period of a month.

Since the major issues if you rub your eye(s) too soon are possibility of infection or opening the incision, I would suggest waiting a month. My surgeon saw me 3 times the first month (day after surgery, one week later and then a month after surgery). If you are concerned, ask your surgeon if he can check to make certain the incision is healed and there are no issues with taking off the makeup.

FYI, I don't wear eye makeup due to the allergies, but buying fresh makeup sounds like a good plan.

I saw that you ordered tea tree oil makeup remover pads. You might want to make sure your eye is closed all the way before using them. I use tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner and it hurts when I accidentally get some near my eyes. It has a menthol-like aroma and even that is irritating, but I love how it treats my hair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.