using crutches or a wheelchair

Posted , 5 users are following.

I asked my doctor if I should use crutches or a wheelchair because it is very painful when I walk and he said I would advise against using any of them because I have to keep my joints moving, I have been told this from another doctor and has anyone else been told the same thing, I find this very annoying because they don't know how painful it is to walk and I feel like I am being fobbed off.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yeah I have been told the same thing, but I do use a stick for balance when I am struggling. I can understand why they say it though, as when you become dependant on aids it is difficult to become independent again. My partner used a crutch for years before I advised him to try witout. He had a hip problem. He started using it less and now doesn't need one at all. However, when its too painful to walk at all, I just end up staying in bed, so a wheelchair would definitely enable me to get out. Its about balancing I guess. But to doctors it just seems black and white! 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the comment I am glad i am not alone in being told this and you are right the doctors just tell you to keep moving and everything will be ok.

• Posted

let them live one day in your body and them let them talk! i have been using a walker for a year now......on good days i can walk fast and only use the tip of my fingers to guide it but its there for balance...on bad days...it helps to guide me with a firmer grip....crutches iwould say no as they put to much pressure on certain muscles, try a cane first then a walker...you need comfort!
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment and I really wish they can be in our body for a day and then they would change their mind.

• Posted

I use a wheelchair for long distances but otherwise walk around...albeit slowly and not very far! I think if its that painful and you need to get out, use whatever you need to but not to get reliant on it as they are right, you do need to keep your joints moving, even if gentle movements. Might be worth seeing a physio as they are more qualified in the movement and aids department. cheesygrinJK
    • Posted

I use a powered wheelchair for long distances but I dont feel right using it because when I am at work I dont use any walking aids and people will think that I am taking the p*** by being in a wheelchair.

• Posted

Hi I use 2 crutches and have a wheelchair or scooter for bad days or longer walks . This is just my opinion but I think your doctor is out of order , we all suffer this pain some of us extreme and continuos pain. There is absolutely no need for you to be struggling or suffering any extra if you need assistance it should be given . We are very lucky that it isn't life threatening but it can be a very debillitating illness . Stay strong and firm and if you feel the need change your Doctor , good luck 😄😄
  • Posted

Should have also said I agree move as much as poss x
    • Posted

Thanks Rattler7 it is good to get support from fellow sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.