Using Fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

My dad has been taking Fluoxetine 20mg for the last four weeks. And his side effects have not subsided, he is always feeling low, complains about feeling lethargic and at other times restlessness, shows no will or motivation to even do the everyday chores. I just wanted to know if that is normal for someone who has been taking fluxoetine for four weeks? And also if age is a factor, my dad being 70 is already weak and the medicine just adds to the confusion. Its really hard to remind him that he will feel better eventually when I am not even sure if taking the medicine is worth going through it all. If anyone can share anything that would help with my situation. Kindly do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know that my phyciatrist said that fluoxetine might not be the best choice for someone over 60. That being said I've been told that it takes up to 6-8 weeks for fluox to work and the first few weeks can be tough. I'm only in my first week and feel very lethargic and unmotivated and have to force myself to do things. I know the sister drug sertaline which I used to be on might be a little more gentle.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Claire. I am trying to stick it out for another two weeks with Flux with my dad. Its just that since he started he hasnt had even one good day. If he showed even a slight improvement in the next two weeks at least it will be a good motivater to continue it.
  • Posted

Four weeks is still early days for side effects to subside, my side effects took around 9 weeks to go and even now I still get the odd day of feeling lethargic, nauseous etc. SSRI are slow working but very effective once they work .

I don't know about effects at various ages but i am 49 years but the side effects you mention your father has are pretty usual, although the only thing to watch in the older generation is they can deplete sodium levels which can be dangerous.

Try not too worry and anticipate when side effects will go it does get better

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to not let myself get demoralised but its hard to see someone you care about suffering with something that is supposed to make them feel better. But I keep reading in everyone's posts that it gets worse before it gets better so I am just praying that everyone is right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.