using gynest cream is this normal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 53, been through menopause 2 years ago, had no problems until last yes months ( except dryness during sex) used lubricant creams was OK. Last few months I have terrible vaginal dryness and itching, went to doctor and she prescribed me gynest cream. I have been using it for about ten days and my condition seems worse! The itching is driving me mad! Try to work mind over matter but its all I can think about. Is this normal? Am I allergic to the cream or should I try to bear with it? Any suggestions I'm desperate?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes!!! Have you been checked for BV and or/ Thrush?

They both are conditions caused by alkaline or acidic conditions inside the vagina.

I had BV in the past and was wrongly treated by my GP for thrush. I remember the cream made the itching intensify . I then went to a proper clinic for sexual health.

They examined and did some tests and i got the right medicine for BV.

I't s just an idea, but worth checking out before you give up on the Gynest altogether.

best wishes

• Posted

ps also you will have to stop the Gynest for a week or so so you can be examined properly by a sexual health doctor. The cream gets in the way apparently!
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments, no I having been checked for bv or thrush. But have used thrush treatments before! I'm OK for a few days then the itching starts again. Nice to know that the itching does intensify on somebody else. Will try and carry on using it coming to the end of the second week of using the cream daily then using it twice a week. Hopefully will start to see light at the end of the tunnel soon. Once again thanks! 😟
  • Posted

pps i am using Gynest twice a week and apart from the mess of it falliing out again the night and day after, i haven't had any itching. But everyone is different. You might have an allergy, but best to get checked first for other infections and do it by a process of elimination. best wishes xx good luck!
  • Posted

Here is your story which is so similar to many ladies on this forum if you read through some of the chats. I am 63 and have similar problems. You probably have vaginal atrophy which many get post menopause. Gynest is an oestrogen cream and was ok for me for a while then the cream itself made me itch. If you need some oestrogen you may research vagisil as I found that useful although I now have a vaginal ring pessary which releases oestrogen daily. I have not shared with anyone else who has a vaginal ring and think they may be quite new on the market as I was prescribed this by the gynaecologist at the hospital. This forum is great for sharing. Research and then go to the doctors and be positive in what you need. Many ladies appear to have this condition and most say they had to tell the doctor what they wanted. Do get tested for thrush or bacterial vaginitis as these require different treatments. I am sad for your problem, however it is great to share ideas. 
  • Posted

hi Hun

i had a smear etc and i had bacterial vaginosis ( cytolitic vaginosis) and thrush ..

cytolytic vag mimics thrush and thrush treatment does not cure it ..

i am one yeat post meno no HRT.

i had no idea i had it other than a milky white discharge .. No odour ..

i had to have vaginal clindamycin ovules to treat it and then thrush treatment .

also its treated with oral metronizadole ot vaginal metronizadole.

i also use estriol vag cream but mine is ovestin its stronger occasionly.

i will say .. I find premeno duo ovules non hormonal great .. They are good for dryness and dual acting to keep thrush etc at bay.

from stressnomore site..

jay xx

• Posted

I also find Multi-Gyn Actigel (Previously Bio-Fem) good for me. It does not itch me. It's worth reading about this from boots or stress no more site 
  • Posted

This happened to me initially when I first started useing gynest and I still have no idea why as the tests for thrush etc came back negative but since then I use multigyn from boots  on the days between the gynest and it seems to keep things at bay. It stings a bit on application but they say thats normal and it soon wears off and it's made from natural ingredients. Hope you find some relief soon, we all know how awful it can be.

• Posted

I've posted on another thread about my problems with Gynest.

Look at the one started by chris2 called 'Vagifem for Vaginal Atrophy'.

It gave me dreadful external iching at some point but seems to have sorted itself out now

I'm now down to using it once a fortnight and I'm due to use it tomoorow so will post if I have any adverse reaction..

I didn't have thrush but I did have a UTI which cleared up after anti-biotics.

Check out the comments on the thread I mentioned about coconut oil.

Google '101 uses for coconut oil'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.