Using Manuka Honey to cure blepharitis?

Posted , 50 users are following.

Has anyone here been using manuka honey?

If there are, can anyone tell me how to use honey to your eye?

I read an article that someone in Britain cured blepharitis using MAnuka Honey.

I'm willing to try it, but want to know how to use it before buying it.

6 likes, 142 replies

142 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, Manuka Honey definitely help to treat Blepharitis. Once I suggested one of my friends and she gone well by following this remedy within few weeks.

I searched and found best remedies to treat blepharitis. Hopefully, this gonna help without any side effects. confused

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

It is great for blepharitis, but if you use the higher more concentrated form, make sure you dilute it with some purified water or it may burn. Apply with a q-tip. Dena
  • Posted

What I'm finding with Bleph, Dry Eye, MGlandD, is that doctors have nothing to really treat it with, so people are coming up with home remedies with anecdotal stories of how "so and so worked for me, i'm gonna use it for the rest of my life", like this discussion board. Really sad. That's not how science works.

No, I will not be treating my eyes with honey, because it sounds like a) it's not a cure. It's just managing the symptoms for the rest of your life.

And b) drops of Teatree oil -- a natural antibiotic much like this honey sounds -- can be diluted in babyshampoo and has been "managing" symptoms for me just as well.

• Posted

Arnold,

Put it along your eyelashes top and bottom then rub very gently to allow some into your eyes. It will burn for a while but it's worth it. Do this twice a day for six months and it should cure your problem I've been told by many people. If you keep skipping cause you feel better or stop treatment early you will just get it back again. Use a Qtip for each eye. Leave it on all night and day if you can.

• Posted

I did the honey and after almost a month I couldn't take the burning that progressively got worse. I went to an eye surgeon who knew all about these home remedies and said most are harmless but the honey can do severe eye damage if your not carefull. Your eyes are not made to take that kind of treatment and you only have one set of eyes ever. So he basically left it at that. You've been warned your choice what you put in your eyes from now on. They have specical clinics tp srub your eyes out and unblock your eye gland which takes an hour and a half and cost a few 100$. But its safe and totally effective at the moment you have it done. Not putting strong honey and using other strong products that are hurtful to your precious vision in the long run or waiting for something to take effect six months to a year to get better. I was told off for damaging my eyes for such a long period and being so naive. I was lucky the effects of the honey showed up early on me so the damage done wasn't as bad. When it comes to something as important as your eye sight don't be cheap and screw around with it. You won't get it back thats for sure. Not trying to bring anyone down, but I care about everyone going through this.

• Posted

Cindy, we all have our choices. My doctor said that the honey is the best, it just depends on what doctor you visit. My choice is honey, and I figure the proof is in the pudding. If I wasn't getting such excellent results, I might be tempted to believe you. 😊

• Posted

DENA,

This wasn't a GP or basic eye Doctor it was an eye surgeon who knows what he's talking about .He said over the years he's seen this many times before. I know you want to believe in the honey and who knows maybe your one of the lucky ones and it won't do any damage after long term use. I wish it worked for me also I wasted 53.00$ on it.He said wipes, Blephagel, Babyshampoo are all good otherwise. He recommends low dose Doxycycline for X3 months. No contacts or makeup whatsoever. This will clear up infection. Keep up hygiene X2 daily.If eyelash loss buy Lumigan it's covered depending where you live , much cheaper than Latisse. You can't get better advice than an eye surgeon. Like you said your choice and I really hope it works for you, honestly it did work for me the first couple of weeks.  it sucks this stupid disease and we should not have to deal with this period.

Don't you think. I'm sick of the whole issue and time and money this takes.

• Posted

Yes.....let's keep in touch. I'll let you know how this treatment works out on me. It's going to cost me 250.00 twice a year but if it really works it's worth it. I'm not celebrating early either I have my doubts on anything working at this point. But if it's the almighty cure you will be the first to know I promise you that. Cindy

• Posted

I spent £40 on Manuka honey, advised that it needed to be 400mg or higher. Been using once a day for about a week and seen no results so far, in fact, eyes may even be slightly worse, but I'm sure there's no connection. Will keep updated!

• Posted

Someone had/have floaters related to Blepharitis? I'm myopic and I do not know if this has any relation, my vision is also constantly getting more blurred even using eye drops. Manuka honey can help with this? 

• Posted

i just rub it along each eye. stings a little,but it goes away. gives me a lot of relief.

• Posted

hi, i had tried everything for blepharitis. Nothing worked accept with Cliradex wipes. Cliradex is used to treat dry eye, blepharitis, and demodex (my eye doctors never said i had demodex) but this is what worked for me. i recommend cliradex wipes.

• Posted

Oh yes, in addition to using cliradex wipes, i took omega 7 (sea buckthorn capsules) they lubricate the eyes. Both of these together.

• Posted

Oh yes, in addition to using cliradex wipes, i took omega 7 (sea buckthorn capsules) they lubricate the eyes. Both of these together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.