Using marijuana to cope with anxiety disorders, need advice or personal stories

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my names Lauren, I'm new to this blog and I have never posted anything on misusing drugs. I have childhood traumas, and other events leading up to my PTSD, panic disorder, anxiety, and depression. I see a counselor once a week to do emdr therapy. I have been smoking a Lott of cannibas lately. I would say almost every day for the past 2 years and quite honestly it's one of the only things that calm me down and bring me back to reality because of my severe panic attacks. I'm prescribed Xanax but I don't take it all the time because It makes me tired and I'm unable to drive or do things on it. So I smoke cannibas. I'm planning on becoming a nurse...I'm not in the program yet but I will be next year but my anxiety is so terrible sometimes it's extremely difficult to cope and I get blurry vision, I've passed out, vomiting, ect all from anxiety disorders. I feel as though I'm doing a bad thing by using cannibas to help cope only because it's not morally accepted yet to use it for those reasons. I'm 20 years old now and I just need an encouraging story from someone who suffered mentally and was able to get through without using drugs. I have never done anything else but smoke and never plan to.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have severe anxiety to the point ifsomeone knocked on my door I would have a panic attack. Due to the loss of my babygirl in December 2013 I suffer PTSD (her labour,birth and death was traumatic) the last time I smoked marijuana was when I was 15 years old (I'm now 31) personally I have thought about using again to lessen my anxiety symptoms, but never acted on it

You said you don't like taking xanax as you feel tired and cant drive, do you drive when you have used marijuana? Doesn't thatmake you drowsy? There are anxiety medications that don't effect your ability todrive....have you asked your doctor?please be careful with the xanax becausethey are awfully addictive and terrible to withdraw from! Its good your seeing a councillor that's a step in the right direction. If you ever want to talk to someone you can message me anytime, take care,

Kate

X

• Posted

Hi Lauren

unfortunately you know what I'm going to say, whilst the scientific evidence regarding the use of cannabis to treat stress and anxiety is there unfortunately in the UK it is still a controlled substance and if you wish to go into nursing this may cause you problems. I would use the prescribed medication and cut back on your cannabis use. I would also highly recommend using relaxation therapy etc to help control your anxiety. Stay strong, you are a wonderful individual and by choosing a life of nursing you show that you desire to help others so helping you right now will likely benefit many many people in the future 😀

• Posted

Hi Lauren , so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.I'd agree with david1973 in that although cannabis does seem to help you but unfortunately as a controlled substance and also because it will impair your ability to function, you cannot use it whilst becoming a nurse. Not sure where you're from but in the UK if you were caught with cannabis and convicted ,the police actually have to inform the NMC and that would be the end of a nursing career.The councelling is a definate step in the right direction but I'm suprised your GP has gone down the Xanax route as stated before it is highly addictive. Are you on any anti depressants ? As I suffer with depression but also have anxiety attacks as well and found that a combination of anti depressants have got me back on track ( it took a while to get the right combination but it was worth it in the end ). I'm a quallified nurse by the way and have been for the last 24 years , I'm also a recovering drug addict ( I was fortunate never to get caught during all my years of using - 15 years in total ) I now realise I was just trying to self medicate to deal with problems I've had since childhood. This was my biggest mistake - trying to fix the problems by myself and ending up a disater area !! I've been clean for just over two years now though and my depression and anxiety are actually quite well under control ! and I'm still nursing ,which is good ! I know there's alot of anti depressant haters out there who think that everyone should be totally drug free but this is medication for an illness just like any other and its worth exploring their option as theres many out there that will still help the anxiety but without the drowsiness that goes with it ! Let us know how you get on ! Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, so sorry to hear about your situation, but my story could provide some light to the situation.

I also had mild anxiety and very severe depression, and after the use of cannabis, the depression stopped completely, and the anxiety was minuscule compared to the amount I was experiencing before. Bottom line, my advice is, whether it's morally accepted or not, if it improves your overall health, no one can tell you otherwise. Have a great day, make sure to update the forum with what you decide smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.