Using the treadmill after hip surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Nearly 4 months post op from posterior hip replacement and surgeon recommended 3 excercises and using standup bike/elliptical which i tried today and didnot like...Used treadmill previous to surgery when was not in bad shape. Personally think the treadmill is better for me than the elliptical as it seemed that it would be more pressure on the hip than walking.. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.. I do love my ortho though..

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 3 months post-op and my doctor recommended walking and using the stationary bike. I do it a couple of times a week at the gym and go for short walks couple times a day
  • Posted

My surgeon said I could use treadmill after 14 weeks. I had anterior THR.

I also like treadmill.

• Posted

As walking seems to be the best exercise, after four months as long as you start slow there should not be a problem. I have an elliptical walker and cannot wait to get back on it, I am missing exercising.
  • Posted

Thomas, congrats on your successful surgery. I recently passed two years post right hip replacement. A few exercise suggestions which greatly helped my recovery are the following: stationary bike, treadmill, stair climbing machine, free swats, wall swats, leg weight sled and especially trail walking or hiking. As my glute muscle was cut by the surgeon, it did not fully heal until 18 months post-op. The biggest contributors with rehabing the glute. were the stair climber and swats. I have found that daily challenging exercise with an occasional off-day, aids the healing process and return to pain free movement and living. I also suggest maintaining a healthy weight, sufficient nutrition, and proper rest. At 68 yo, with a new hip and knee, life gets better every day. Best wishes and the Lord's blessing to you on your journey to full health.

• Posted

Thanks RangerJack for all of that info..definitely will be doing the treadmill and the leg extension, abductor and leg curl machines and ease into the stationery bike and go from their..will also work my upper body as well on the machines none which i will try to lift heavy. When you refer to stationery bike what are you referring to? Recumbent? Elliptical ?

Look forward to hearing from.you..

• Posted

Thomas, the recumbent bike was very helpful during the first few months after surgery. Then I moved to the traditional upright bike. At the six-months post op marker, you should be in a very good place with your recovery. Healing is a on-going process. I continued to improve leg strength and flexibility through the first 18 months. Again, best wishes on your recovery. Cheers.

RJ from Tampa, FL 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.