Uterine Fibroid/Artery Embolisation (UFE/UAE) my experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I am sharing my experience for those women who have to decide what to do for their own fibroids. My history is that in my late 20s I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had a large ovarian cyst I was bleeding into removed that had grown to melon size on my right Fallopian tube thus it, the Fallopian tube and right ovary was excised and a long vertical scar down from my bellybutton. The operation went well and at that young age my body made a good recovery. In my 30s I was diagnosed with fibroids, the largest the size of a lemon. The gynaecologist said if he went in he’d want to remove everything. The fibroids were not causing me pain and I wanted to preserve my fertility (he said said that a UAE might cut the blood supply to my remaining ovary) so I decided leave them be. In my 40s my periods were getting progressively worse. Heavier and longer bleeds (10 days) and soaking through. When worsening cramps and bloody clumps started appearing I decided to have my fibroids looked at again. They were still there and I now had two lemon sized ones in my uterus lining and also suspected adenomyosis. My womb was swollen to the size of a 20-week pregnancy. I was also dealing with a recurrent UTI that my GP thought was due to my fibroids squashing my bladder causing pockets of urine not to empty completely. As I am now 48 I decided I would have the procedure. That was in November 2017. Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones as it is now April 2018 and six months on I am still recovering. One week after the procedure I developed upper frontal thigh pain - no one told me this might happen but the artery the radiologist goes through is the main artery that goes down the upper leg. The pain was at times excruciating. He discomfort lasted a few months and whether psychological or not my legs have not felt as strong since. I had months of cramps, heavy bleeding and cramps. I took painkillers every day for three months. I have not had a single day without some sort of discharge. The worse is heavy clots the best is a small discoloured discharge. Previously I at least I had 18 regular days clear (10 day periods). My periods are not regular. I never know when the worst will come. Yesterday blood seeped through the back of my skirt at work which was incredibly embarrassing. I had the procedure to help and I realise my recovery is taking a lot longer than most women but in hindsight I would not have gone through with it. My UTI is still there for which I am now seeing a urologist about and wish I had just taken that step before before embarking on this procedure which has caused me untold pain and bleeding. I cannot turn back time. If I could I would have told myself just wait for the menopause. I now have artificial substances in my body  (the micro-beads they use to block the artery feeding the uterus) and irregular bleeding with constant discharge. I have no interest in sex, The smell can be offensive and I am constantly changing pads. So please think carefully before you have this procedure. I know it has worked for some women but for me it’s another story. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. It’s a shame we women have these problems. The gynaecologist said I could have a hysterectomy at 48 wonder if it’s just best to wait it out to a natural conclusion (menopause).

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had my UFE feb I have bled heavy as well. Supposedly discharge is fibroids dying. It's really discouraging. I hear it can take up to a year? My stomach seems smaller but still get a dull pain by my belly button at times. If anything later I'll get a vaginal hysterectomy not stomach cut open surgery. I suffered all those symptoms cramping but it only lasted 2 weeks. The Dr used the artery in my rust though. I am sorry you are still suffering. It does suck for woman!

• Posted

Wrist*
    • Posted

Thank you Kristen. I hope you didn’t suffer any adverse discomfort going via your wrist. MIne was via the groin. My stomach felt softer after (it used to get rock hard before) but hasn’t really shrunk. I think we both have to hope that this procedure will help even if it takes a year. And our periods will be much reduced as the fibroids shrink (they will not be completely gone). Definitely vaginal hysterectomy and keep your ovaries if possible. There is no need to loose those (producing oestrogen) as well as your womb.
    • Posted

I did not have any pain in wrist it brused up pretty bad. My recovery time was horrible chills, nite sweats, my neck was so stiff I could not move it maybe from pain meds. I also was out to sleep which isn't common not sure why with this procedure. Never asked. He I'll keep the overies. Yes I hope so much that in time it gets better. Good luck keep me informed.

• Posted

Morphine drips/meds are often used to control pain but the side effect is nausea. My recovery time in the hospital (one night though some places do this procedure as a day case) was not great either but not as bad as yours mostly nausea. It’s best to sleep through it. Bruising isn’t great but glad you didn’t have pain. Hopefully you won’t need a hysterectomy later. 
    • Posted

Ya I had paid every other way. I'm sorry to hear your still suffering. I hope it time it will go away.

• Posted

Hi Melody,

Sorry you have not had the positive experience with the UFE procedure. I had this procedure done this past Oct 2017 and having no additional problems. My fibroids have shrunk, but not sure if they are leaving my body. I had 3 lighter periods since and 2 months of no periods.

I will agree no matter what elective path you take, everyone's body reacts differently. Women have choices and if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. No one should have to suffer for so long (although I did until I did my research).

I do hope that you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

Thank you Cindy. I’m glad to hear this procedure worked for you. I am one of the more unfortunate ones and have since read a report whereby if the womb size is on the larger size e.g. 20weeks pregnancy size they would not recommend as the fibroids do not shrink much. Not sure why but it must be from test cases. 
  • Posted

Hi Melody, so sorry you regretted going through this. It is now seven months since you posted and I was wondering how you are feeling, are you still thinking it wasn't worth it? I am scheduled to have this in two months and every bad story I read sends me back in my decision. Many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.