Uterine Fibroid embolisation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all not good today GP refusing to give me Iron tablets even though I feel very tired. Says I am not low on Iron. Read online though that some docs don't even check the iron levels just the blood count. GP is ringing me tomorrow morning so I will ask her if my iron level has been checked (if it's below 50 then I am lacking iron) Feel really tired. If they don't give them me I will self medicate I don't care. You can get iron tablets from the pound shop. I'm so angry with the surgery.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor should check your iron levels, especially if you have heavy bleeding or tiredness.  You can also include foods in your diet that can help such as beetroot either the vegetable or the juice, good quality protein  e.g. chicken breasts, liver, red meat if you are meat eater.  Spinach and other green vegetables, pulses, nuts  and fruit. Also a good multivitamin is also useful.

Before my surgery for fibroids I felt tired a lot as my periods were heavy, but I used the supplement called Spirulina in powder form,1 teaspoon in orange juice once a day and also switched to organic meat and also exercised. Spirulina contains iron, protein and calcuim and is available in most helalth food shops.. 

Hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi f9 thanks for your reply I will take your advice and try Spirulina as at this point in willing to try anything to get my energy back. GP checked Blood count and platelets but they refuse to check iron level even though it may be really low. I have told them to stick their iron tablets I will sort myself out.
  • Posted

Hi

Oh dear definitely ask if ur levels were checked. I found that VitB12 helped to boost my energy levels and i got that from the health shop. See if ur B12 levels r low.

As said by 2f there are lots of ways to get iron in ur diet too

Wish u luck n let us know if they admit to checking ur iron levels or not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.