Uterine fibroid embolization on blood thinner

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. So I'm on blood thinner for May Thurner Syndrome. I have no blood clotting history in my family or clotting disorder, just a stent in my left groin and minor vein damage. That said I have a 3cm fibroid on right side that could be contributing ot my hemorrhaging on blood thinners. My body cannot tolerate any anticoagulants. I literally bleed out on my period from 14 hemoglobin to a 6 in 5 days. I'm 6 ft tall and need to work full time with no financial safety net. That said, I was recommended uterine fibroid embolization because I need to keep my uterus and fertility in tact. I am afraid of being on blood thinners prior and after surgery but my hematologist and interventional radiologist have difference of opinion. One thinks I will be ok (hematologist) and the other thinks I'll be in the ER getting another blood transfusion because as the fibroid dies my interventional radiologist said...it will cause bleeding issues. Have you been on blood thinners (Xarelto or Eliquis--I can't do coumadin) after getting a UFE? How much bleeding did you have? I have a small 3 cm fibroid, that may be causing all this bleeding issue as prior to blood thinner I had NO BLEEDNG ISSUES. I had no signs of fibroids PERIOD. I'm trying to figure out if it's just safer for me to risk a reoccurring DVT and just reduce my dose to 2.5 mg vs. 10 mg bc body cannot do 10mg at all or even 5mg...I'm too sensitive (my vein collapse, had stent put in, never had blood clots prior. MTS is morphologic. Not a clotting disorder. Once correct your largest risk is stent in groin) VS. just get the UFE because it WILL reduce the bleeding I'm having with the blood thinner. Prior to blood thinner, again, I didn't know I had a fibroid bc I had no spotting, no heavy periods, no horrible cramps--like regular cramps.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi! I'm sorry to hear about what you've experienced and hope that you are getting better each day. I hope my story helps somewhat. I had fibroids and had the heavy bleeding which let to 10 blood transfusions over the course of 3 months. My doctor said that we should try hormone therapy to get the bleeding under control. Tried it and ended up with Pulmonary Embolism (PE) so I am on Xarelto with a 3 month check in coming up in February. I had the UFE back in November and only experienced slight spotting for a few days. My periods last about 8 days with 2 days of spotting after and this is all while on Xarelto. Hope this helps in some way and wishing you all the best on your recovery journey.

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck and good times. Just do what is right and always trust in your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.