Uterine Fibroid - family history of ovarian cancer. Now what?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've got a 29mm uterine fibroid at the top of my uterus and I'm only 29 and follow a mainly vegetarian diet. Unfortunately my family only told me my family history after my appointment so my gynae said there was no risk. Then I found out my mom has a fibroid, my aunt has had 2 dncs, has an ovarian cyst and has had an endometrial ablation. My gran had ovarian cancer at 29 and her whole uterus was removed. I have very heavy bleeding, chronic joint pain, nauseous in yoga, uncomfortable sometimes bloated pelvis and always want to go to the bathroom. My gynae said it was optional to remove but won't say whether he recommends it or nor. Should I be getting it removed? He's on holiday.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    If your symptoms are causing you problems then its better to have it removed. As Your fibroid is not considered as large at this stage, that could be why your gynae has told you its optional to remove. Fibroids do get bigger with time despite exercise or having a good diet so in my opinion its best to have it removed now, not when you have several more symptoms or more or larger fibroids. Fibroids of your size can be taken out using keyhole surgery depending on the skill of the surgeon so you may want to discuss this option with your gynae. Knowing your family history of fibroids and ovarian cancer is useful as you can pass this information onto your gynae and they may decide monitor you more closely.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    This sounds like a big decision for you, if it was me I would get a second opinion asap.  This is what I did, however, with no family history like your own.

    It is your decision at the end of the day, you definitely need thorough testing doing now though screening etc, this will at the very least put your mind at rest, as I would imagine you are all over the place.

    My auntie has a fibroid, however, has no children and was mid 50s, I am mid forties and have had an ovarian cyst on left ovary which has been removed and benign, and coil, scrape, abalation which was unsuccessful, advised to have hysterctomy which I declined, and then my 2nd opinion offered me a myomectomy, after taking Esmya this was only short term solution for me, and I had a UAE 12 May 2014, this does appear to have worked for me touch wood.  However, this is not without risk, and my family is complete.  My fibroid was submucousal and 16-18 weeks, so a four month pregnancy in effect.

    I am sure if the results were not favourable, ultimately you would have no choice, as painful as this decision would be, your health is paramount ultimately.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi, as said previously fibroids do get bigger with time. If it was me I would have it removed, mine were too prolifous and big in size by the time I had my diagnosis to enable a successful removal (My doctor had one attempt which failed) I eventually opted for a hysterectomy with ovary and cervix removal. This was an easier decision for me as my son is grown up and I had no plans to have any more but you are young so the decision is harder.

    There are risks associated with removal of fibroids but as i understand it the risks are greater when they increase in size.

    Whatever you decide I would try to go back to your consultant for further advice on the new information you have about your family medical history to see if that changes your options at all.


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up