Uterine Fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Quick update went to Gyn appointment today. I asked are you trying to keep me on Esyma until I hit the Menopause answer was yes. I said that I was told i was on Esyma to shrink the Fibroid on it does he said but can take 4 attempts. I asked if I could be given anything for the tiredness it causes answer was no. I asked if it caused hot flushes no that's your age he said. BullsXXt.

So I asked could I be refered to a Laproscopic Gynocologist for a Laprascopic Myomectomy. he went away to have a word with someone. Then he came back and said no I asked what medical evidence was he was basing that on.

I have now been referred to a different gyn at the same hospital. When I see him he had better have a medical explanation for refusing. Just using my age is wrong and I won't accept it. I am determined to get what I want and I will fight until I do. Why should I have to give up my Uterus just cos I'm 50 just so wrong. Anyway hope anyone reading this is having better luck. I can't even put into words how fuming I am.

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia, It sounds like they are trying to preserve your uterus and keep you away from risky surgery by keeping up with the Eysma, (good to have 2 months gap in each 3 month course).  It does take time to work admittedly.  I don't know how bad your symptoms are.  I also think the tiredness can be helped by taking the tablets at night before bed daily. (Thats what I did when taking them).          i was happy that Eysma was approved in 2015 for intermittent use as I did not want risky surgery and hoped for a tablet and there was. I know it takes longer if it is going to work but if you are close to menopause then that is another reason to try to keep with it.     They gynae at my hospital did not want to do myomectomy some of them dont unless really skilled, he said too much blood. The gynae at mine was also quick to offer hysterectomy so I am so glad eysma was becoming approved at the time and I asked for it .......it wasn't mentioned to me.  I would be glad they are not trying to operate on you.     I know we are all different and have different experiences. Good luck.

• Posted

I thought Eysma could only be used for 4 cycles and once you had had those you could not have more? Have I understood wrong? I am on list for hysterectomy and will be starting my third cycle after this break (I have had dreadful pain during the break!).

Thanks

Barb

• Posted

Yes the latest trials were for up to 4 cycles but there will probably be trials for longer  perhaps. It's early days. The leaflet wording changes each time. It doesn't say a maximum time now just long term use, that's not to say it will be prescribed though. I wonder if they trialled it with longer pauses in between, because I read the benefits can last for up to 12 months in some cases and maybe even some aspects longer. I have myself not taken any for 12 months now ( I took 2 courses)  and still have improvements like I'm back to manageable lighter periods and no pain t really speak of.  I have 3 months not used, but if the symptoms returned no reason I could not take a course again (if still in date), and if I have left it for a long time since taking surely that's better for the body......Even if there is also a 4 treatment limit and you had good gaps in between then that could treat you for about 2 years and you may also have some longer term benefits after that for say a year or more. Do you see where I am coming from. You could get by to the menopause in some cases. There is no evidence to say they are harmful if used for longer than 4 times but of course better for trials to have been put in place first. My gynae was so new to them when I asked for them for intermittent use that he did not indicate a limit but he may have not been checking his facts first.  

• Posted

Hi Barbara

You did understand correctly you can take four cycles. But I did not want Four as there was no shrinkage. Dr said takes more than one cycle but he could not advise on how many cycles I would need for it too work and also how much shrinkage I would get. I know it's better than a Hysterectomy but I want a Myomectomy if UFE does not give me more shrinkage by Jan 2018.

I understand I migjht be close to the Menopause but I also know it could be 5'years off. That is the problem. I was refused Myomectomy due to my age and. That is wrong. That is in fact age discrimination in my view.

Good luck to you though with the Esyma hope it works for you.

• Posted

I totally understand where you are coming from and of course would rather avoid surgery......but I have been living with this pain and bleeding (Eysma gave me a very welcome break! And I still spot most days) but I am fed up with planning my life round "good weeks". Doc is not sure I have had any shrinkage as in so much pain during break ( totally knocked me on my backside, days off work etc!) And although I am 51 who knows how far I am away from menopause could be years! I want my life back and this is why I have decided to have hysterectomy, just want it to end!!

Not much fun being female sometimes! 😬

Barb x

• Posted

I know what you mean, at 51 I really felt like I had limited options too. If they could tell me I would go into menopause within the next year I would poke up with the two months of hell and stay on Esmya.....but they can't and I just can't bear the thought of trying to live like this, can't even exercise anymore as cause pain and bleeding, just fed up with it to tbh! A hysterectomy is the only option I have been left with due to size and position 😥

I really hope you get the treatment that you want, age should not come into it at all.....it is your body!

Good luck

Barb x

• Posted

I understand Barbara and we are all dealt unique symptoms, I suppose in part dependent on how many fibroids and how large and where they are. Of course if my symptoms were worse than they are and eysma was not working at all I would have to consider other options. I am a  bit younger than you so perhaps further away from menopause but who knows  (average age 52 they say though, unless some in your family have been older may be an indication).    Do you have quite large fibroids ?     BW, Shell
    • Posted

My gynecologist is a bit vague on size but my uterus is the size of 4 month pregnancy and the fibroids are in the walls, one on the top is pushing down and causing pain in pelvis and also that awful feeling of needing to wee.....all the time and feel like I have a belt of rocks tied to my waist!! Unfortunately fibroids run in my family so hard to tell on genetics, my mum, both sisters and niece have all had hysterectomy....ages ranging from 30 to 50 at the time of op, I have made it the longest! I did have blood test and also investigation op and both showed my ovaries are cooking on gas and working at full tilt......no sign of menopause on the horizon for me! I have spoken to friends and family who have had hysterectomy and all have improved so much after......they all wish they had had it sooner and not suffered so long! I on the other hand have suffered for around three years as wanted to avoid surgery......but hey......how long do you give it!? I feel a bit tired in Esyma, and still bleed if I walk too far or do any kind of exercise......I have a lovely daughter so don't really need the manly thing anymore so hence my decision. If however I was younger I definitely might consider seeing how Esmya panned out as think it is a massive leap forward for ladies wishing to preserve their fertility, and hopefully it will get better with time!

Like you I just wish there were more non surgery options as Esmya seems to be the only one on offer.....and if it does not work you are snookered!

Barb x

• Posted

Meant mankey.....not manly!! Lol 😂

• Posted

Good to hear that you have some positive experiences from friends and family so you can relate to them being better after Hysterectomy. I was never given the pregnancy size but told a multi fibroid uterus for the ones in the wall and all under a certain measurement. I can feel them like little lumps all the way along the uterus under the skin ! There are many and I dont think they add them up when over a certain amount. I know I have one on the outside at about 5cm, a subserosal one. So many women have them and they can be problem free as well. You wish they would behave themselves and stop growing !! Hope you decide on what suits you best. It sounds like you have.  I also had a submucosal one that was removed by hysteroscopy that probably helped with periods too as well as the Eysma I think.  I also took up Reiki last year and that made me feel a lot better even though no scientific evidence !! Lets hope there is more research into medical non-surgical options,

Shell x   

• Posted

I think I will ask for one last blood test just to double check that I am not showing signs of menopause and also a scan to see if any shrinkage (doubtful as like you I can feel them) even if it just means I can have the least invasive hysterectomy. I work so the least amount of recovery time the better and I work in a male dominated environment so to say they have no idea is an understatement!! With all the positive experiences I have been told about I am still really nervous about having it done, just so scared it might relieve one problem only to replace it with another ( I really should not read the internet so much......scared myself wittless!). I just want it to end tbh, takes over your life as always a constant consideration in most things I do ! Blooming things!!

Wish you well

Barb x

• Posted

I can't believe the gynae told you the hot flushes were due to your age  and not Esmya. That really is rubbish. I found that fibroids postponed menopausal symptoms and I only got the flushes, tiredness etc. when I took Esmya. Whenever I stopped taking it the flushes stopped within a couple of weeks.

i'm at last hopeful that menopause has kicked in, my last course of Esmya shrunk the fibroids and I'm now having 'mild' flushes and at most a smear of blood every couple of days. I hope your next gynae is more helpful.

• Posted

Thats true Christine I meant to mention that. We know that Eysma can give hot flushes, I had the odd one too only when taking them, and she had had blood tests to show not yet going through menopause. I think some Drs say anything sometimes without thinking.  A lot of Drs especially GPs are not experienced with Eysma as yet.  S 
    • Posted

Hi Christine

Yeah can you believe that? He also said that if I had a Myomectomy I would still have heavy periods? I don't think he knew what he was talking about. I was so close to saying I want the organ grinder not the monkey. I didn't though lol.

He did agree to get me to the Laproscopic Gynocolgust though so will see what happens.

Looks like it's finally working for you. Really pleased for you

• Posted

Thanks I'll see what happens next, I'll be 60 in November and really need to get on with my life! 

• Posted

So glad for you Christine, I have followed many of your comments and really hope you are nearly there and you are free of your fibroids once and for all!!

Good luck, hope you really enjoy the fibroid free future! 😁

Barb x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.