Uterine polyps removed

Posted , 4 users are following.

A week ago today, I had several uterine polyps removed and a D and C.  Previous to that, I had been on progestin to help shed uterine lining.  I am 63.  I have had very little bleeding with this procedure..just some light red watery discharge the first few days.  No cramping or pain either.  Then low and behold, 6 days post op, I had bright red bleeding the size of a candy bar on my pad.  Happened just once and the rest of the day and night, I had nothing.  Then today, it happened again, but the amount was more like a half dollar size...and nothing since.  I have been doing light housework, laundry, and carrying groceries.  Could that cause these spurts of bleeding?  Is it anything I should be concerned about?  I see my doctor for follow-up next Wednesday.  Her nurse said not to worry unless the amount increases and it continues to bleed without stoppage.  I just don't get it.  Anyone else have this experience?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any experience with this, but it makes sense to me that increasing your activity will cause things to move around and loosen up. Probably just part of the healing process. I agree with the nurse, as long as it's not increasing in frequency or amount and there isn't pain with it, you are probably okay. It's good you are going for your follow up Wednesday. Keep us updated after your appointment. We can all learn from each other's experiences.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, after recovery you can expect some water discharge after the procedure, you can also expect some bleeding for a few weeks and you can expect some heavy flow then diminishing over time. Most women feel better within the first week following surgery; however, do not lift, push or pull any heavy objects for a couple of weeks. Do not resume sexual intercourse or douche until your doctor says it is OK. Lastly, internal healing takes about 2 weeks. Hope this helps answer your question. Retired nurse here.
    • Posted

I have never had any heavy flow.  I figured it was my age and the fact that I have been on progestin for 6 months.  Not sure.   BUT is what I am explaining to you about these once a day spottings seem normal for polyps removal?  My recovery acts just like I did before I knew I had the polyps.  I would go days or weeks with nothing and then start spotting for days on end or have a quick bright red bleed for a time or two that would diminish quickly.  I am not having sex or douching.  Again, just walking around shopping, light housework, and carrying laundry or groceries.  Is that too much?  I haven't even resumed my exercising!  Should I expect what is happening as part of the recovery and healing of the areas she removed?  I appreciate your input as a retired nurse.  Thank you.

• Posted

My explanation above is for recovery after polyp removal. Please read it again. It also says no heavy lifting, no pushing or pulling of objects, thereby, carrying groceries and carrying laundry can be heavy. Do not lift anything over 2 pounds.
  • Posted

I have a polyp that I have been advised to have removed. I went in July but my BP was too high so they sent me away. Im terrified of having a GA ang afterwards and Im sure that is why my bp was high. Im now waiting to have a bp on then if everything is ok op rescheduled.

Im also on a prostegen pill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.