Uterus

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if the uterus helps to hold anything up?  I have a rectocele and possibly cystocele. I am thinking about having my uterus removed as well. Im not sure if I should or not. It is intact and I have already went through menopause. I would appreciate input on this. 😊

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Why do you want your uterus removed of nothing wrong with it? Having uterus removed can make you more prone to prolapses such as vaginal fault. If it aint broke don't fix it.

• Posted

Thank you. I just needed to hear what others are thinking about it
  • Posted

I couldn’t agree more with Rosa. I had posterior and anterior repairs plus hysterectomy in Feb.2016.

I made a super recovery, only to have it fail 5 months later. I assumed I had another bowel prolapse, but in fact it was the dreaded vaginal vault ......the removal of my uterus meant the vaginal wall collapsed. 

I am now on a waiting list to have this repaired, an operation which will be more serious than my earlier one. Double check with your gynaecologist and I’m sure you’ll be told to avoid unnecessary hysterectomy.

All the very best.

• Posted

Hiya. Def agree with the above. Surgeon should not do a hysterectomy unless there are good medical reasons. Ive just had anterior and posterior repairs with a hysteropexy (fixation) but not a hysterectomy. 5 weeks post op and hopefully everything is sorted! Good luck 😊 x

• Posted

I agree, don't have hysterectomy if you don't need one. I had one when I was 40. (1984). 18 years later I had a posterior prolapse, main reason was going back to work which involved heavy lifting of various things but... no one said don't do that after vaginal hysterectomy at that point! In 2017 I had to have a sacrospinous fixation for vag vault prolapse plus another posterior prolapse repair. I would say, have the repairs but not a hysterectomy unless your consultant says it's absolutely necessary. If he's a good uro gynae surgeon he will only do what you really need. Good luck, Poll  X rolleyes

• Posted

QI am 64 and had an Anterior and posterior repair last year. No complications or problems. I am also a retired registered nurse and would NOT recommend having your uterus out without necessity. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Kaleah,   Do you still have your uterus?  I guess I keep worrying about keeping it because my aunt had uterine cancer and I just thought since the surgeon would be in there anyway, then maybe I’d have it taken out. Ugh! I’ve been so depressed over this. But, if it helps keep the vaginal all up, then I’ll leave it. I also assumed that the uterus might sag down. ???? 
  • Posted

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair and sacrospinous fixation in May 2017. The operative findings were a grade 3 uterine descent, grade 3 cystocele, grade 2 rectocele and grade 2 vault descent. 

Due to the uterine prolapse it was agreed that the hysterectomy was needed, I am hoping the sacrospinous fixation will prevent a vaginal vault prolapse in the future. 

My recovery went smoothly, the last part to heal was the vaginal vault, I had some granulation. The anterior and posterior repair gave me little pain, the recovery time is long, but not too painful in my experience. 

Unless there is a medical reason for the hysterectomy then I too would say don't have one. 

Get as much advice as you can before making a decision, I wish I'd discovered this site before my surgery. 

• Posted

If you look on the other boards I’ve posted how fantastic I feel after surgery- I think it all from who does it. 

I’m 8 months post op sacrosexopy ( can’t spell it!) and I had TVT op 7 years ago all good. x 

• Posted

Sorry my typos as usual - I meant to write, it depends who does it. 
  • Posted

I was sadly born without a uterus which I was unaware of til the age of 17/18. By the age of 22/23 I discovered a prolapse which I later learned to be a vaginally vault prolapse. I have just turned 30, I've had 4 operations to try and fix the prolapse, 1 undo (failed within 6weeks) and 1 investigative (by new consultant) and I still have it. Worse now than ever, coupled with chronic pain and dented mental health!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.