Uterus lining 6 ml, been on HRT for 8 yrs!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Advised to have biopsy due to 6 ml uterus lining. I have no bleeding, but I have been on HRT for 8 yrs. could this be the cause for the thickness? Should I get off HRT? And do I need a biopsy? 

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Get a biopsy as soon as you can, whether you have other symptoms of uterine cancer or not. Uterine cancer is nothing to mess around with. When I was diagnosed I was at 8 mm, in June.  When I had my surgery it had grown to 12 mm. at the end of July.     

Also, in my opinion, though some people would tell you you can still take HRT, I'd discontinue it. Some people might tell you that an IUD is safe, too.  I don't think so. Best of luck to you. xx  

• Posted

You certainly need to see a gynaecologist to check whether this is a normal state of the womb lining after the length of time you have had hrt for. If for no other reason to put your mind at rest. For your own state of mind you need to go and see someone who knows their stuff regarding this. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY! Hope this helps xxx
  • Posted

Leann,

From everything I've researched about HRT, the experts do not believe there is an increased risk of  HRT causing uterine or endometrial cancer. There have been many studies. HRT can cause thickening of the endometrial lining, which is why they want to be sure it's nothing to worry about. If you search in an evidence based site (up-to-date), they claim there is no increase in endometrial cancer while on HRT.

If they recommend a biopsy, I would have it done, just to be safe.

The only thing they warn you about is a higher risk of breast cancer.

Is there a reason you were tested regarding the lining? Was it an ultrsound?

• Posted

Daisy,

My oncologist would disagree with your experts, not to mention all the side effects caused by HRT, including blood clots.  

I would agree that natural HRT can be safer.  xx

• Posted

Thank you for all the info. Yes, reason for ultrasound was due to discomfort during intercourse for the last 8 yrs, I am 63 yrs old. 
    • Posted

I agree too. I was just sharing what the docs use as guidance (up-to-date) regarding cancer. I haven't gone near HRT from what I've heard from others. Avoid unless symptoms are servere.

• Posted

I'm glad that you haven't gone near HRT--I was on it for a few years, maybe 10, between 40-50, but that was about 18 years ago, when the meds were much more potent.  

I would encourage women who are in peri to get their thyroid function tested and assessed first.  I think there are many symptoms of an over or under active thyroid that are attributed to peri and menopause.  Because the thyroid gland is the "master" gland.  I'm surprised more ob/gyn's don't do that first.  I went into early menopause because my thyroid problem went undiagnosed for two years by my gp.  

I don't dispute that women have terrible symptoms with peri and menopause.  But I do think that the drug companies are more interested in making money than In keeping them safe.

Best to you! xx

• Posted

i had a scan last year on my womb and my lining was at 15ml i didnt have cancer i had a cam in they had a look took biopsy it was all clear it was just cos im going through meno.imon hrt but only just started it. they did recomend at the time for me to have a coil but i said no then cos i was bleeding for over six months i got norethisteron to stop it which it did. then on and off for a wile id bleed for to long and id just take norethisterone till it stoped till one day i didnt have a period fir three months. wombs are just messed up and i think homones even fake ones give you a thick lining. cant be that bad taking hrt as my lining was at that time 15 ml and i never got checked out again. so they thought it was common they never sent for me again.
    • Posted

I totally agree with you. I had various meds including noresthisterone to totally surpress my periods. Then on a blood test my dr found that my hormones had crashed and my ovaries were on their last legs as he put it so given low dose hrt which did nothing. Dr put me on higher dose and together with vitamin supplement and some diazepam for anxiety I'm improving but after 2 months of hrt had first bleed. I thought it would be light and painless. No such luck. Lots of pain, very heavy bleed but I think that was because of a thickened womb lining because the periods had been surpressed for months! After heavy bleeding for 7 days it has finally stopped. Having achy ovaries but I think that will settle as I think it is because they are struggling to function due to the hrt. I've had low hormone levels all my life due to polycystic ovaries so I assumed I would have an easy time of menopause. Not on your life. I had every symptom under the sun and as severe as it can be so even though I am in an at risk group I feel that the slightly increased risk is worth it compered to what I was suffering with the menopause problems. Hope this helps you XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.