UTI 3- 4 TIMES A YEAR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

For about 5 years I suffered with recurrent UTI's to the note of about 3-4 times per year, and of those at least 1 would send me to the ER. My URO kept pushing me to get the TURP, but when he scanned my bladder I would only have about 20-30 ML of urine. I wen to another URO and he concurred that my UTI's were probably caused by BPH. So, he performed the UroLift which kept me infection free for 1 1/2 years. Now I'm having the same problems again with the UTI's. Should my next move be a 3T MRI? I have a feeling that my issue may be more bladder related than prostate. Any thoughts are appreciated.......Billy

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Edited

Ever try D- Mannose? Someone on this forum recommended it as a preventative/cure for UTIs since I am doing CIC where UTIs are common. I tried it but it gave me the sh*ts so I stopped until I get a UTI. Have been doing CIC for 6 months and so far no UTI. Knock on wood. It may be worth a try considering your history.

Patrick

• Edited

Hi Patrick,

yes I have tried D-Mannose but it failed me. Not only did it fail but when I went to the lab for a urine specimen it would NOT grow a culture. The URO asked if I had taken any antibiotics as that would be the only reason the urine would not grow a culture. Thanks...........Billy

• Edited

I was having UTIs but the URO said they were caused by the catheters. Bad enough the catheters rub up against the bladder wall but, if you look at a Foley catheter, it's almost impossible to keep that sterile. Especially if bladder spasms force urine around the OUTSIDE of the catheter and there's no way to clean. That's why the uros said that they only allow a single catheter to remain in place for one month at kaiser. The other thing I thought of was their procedure when they detect a URI:

1. Detect URI, give whatever antibiotic, wait for culture of sample
    2. Find out the exact bacteria, call patient and have them stop antibiotic and switch to Cipro 500's for 2x a day for a week.
    3. Don't check if infection gone.
    4. Some nurse at ER takes sample, loop back to number (1), above.

For all I know, the CIPRO was NOT clearing up the infection as prescribed. I found out at least one of the sample bacteria was: enterobacter cloacae . This is a fairly tough bacteria which is mostly antibiotic-resistant so it could have been the case that the CIPRO was unable to fully kill the infection. I did NOT get any issues or side effects from the CIPRO but taking the same drug over and over could lead to even more resistance. I told the URO that, if I had another UTI, to try Septra DS (1x per day, 14 days) or Septra (2x a day, 14 days) but I was post-Folley at that point and tested clear of any infection. My point here was that they were NOT checking if the CIPRO did it's job. Did I actually have more than 4 separate infections? or was it just one long infection? No way to tell the way they did this.

What were you using before you were told to go with the TURP? CIC? Foleys? Have you tried AZO products? Like the one that turns your pee a bright orange color and is supposed to get rid of minor infections? They are OTC (Amazon).

• Posted

In a letter to doctors a few years ago Bayer said that Cipro was the antibiotic of "last resort". Countless have been "floxed" and never recover. I had a reaction to Cipro a couple of years ago and it took me 18 months to recover. There are many discussions here about this.

• Posted

Thanks. It was almost as scary as reading up on the bacterial infection that I had. I'm guessing that there are multiple different bacteria that can cause a UTI. Reading up on enterobacter cloacae

, it says that, if this bacteria gets out-of-hand- it could cause death or an extended stay in an ICU. So, maybe the level of and type of infection drove the doctors to Rx CIPRO rather than something like Septra. When I looked up SEPTRA, it was because it was one of the few drugs that could handle that specific bacteria. CIPRO is not off the market so, I have to trust that my doctor took everything into account when prescribing it. I came through several courses of CIPRO without any issues. Thanks for pointing out that information. I appreciate it.

• Posted

Again, thanks. Luckily (I guess) I have had no reaction to CIPRO even though I'd been on it for 3 weeks during my Foley ordeal, not to mention the one or two CIPRO 500s that I took during or following other procedures. For the specific bacterial infection that I had, enterobacter cloacae, I didn't like what I was reading about that infection either as the side effect is death. I looked up Septra and it has its set of nasties as well. Oddly enough, I did have an issue with "brain fog" but I found out that it was related to another drug I was taking, Trazodone. Especially when it was given more for "sleep" purposes.

• Posted

From what I have read effects of Cipro are cumulative. I had taken it before so wasn't concerned when I took it again - but I had a reaction. My energy levels were off by 10-20%, heart rate up and jittery, blood pressure up by 20 pts both systolic and diastolic for months, blood sugar up... Took a very long time to return to normal.

• Posted

I know. And some claim that they had issues with FIRST use. The next time I have an infection, I'll be sure to discuss this all with the doctor. t least, your symptoms did return to normal. My blood sugar is definitely up now, but I haven't taken CIPRO since December 2019 and January 2020 and this could just be related to other issues, stress, COVID-19 change of diet/sleep, etc. The fact that the drug has not been pulled off the market amazes me but, on the other hand, there are probably infections/issues where you don't get a lot of choice. In my last bout with my infection, I finally got someone to actually tell me the name of the bacteria and the research showed the outcome of that bacteria to be antibiotic resistant AND deadly. o, I was not going to take much time to question things, even if it meant being "floxed". Of course, I had, like you, taken CIPRO before many times and never had an issue AND, I didn't know much about the CIPRO issues until VERY recently/after-the-fact.

• Edited

Howie,

I had a cystoscope done in Feb 2018, then got a UTI. Got a prescription for Cipro and felt much better after only 4 hours after taking the first tablet! I was told to take them for 10 days. On day 10 I got dizzy, but it was too late to stop - I was on my last pill. A few weeks later I felt sick, and weak, and my elliptical machine workouts were getting progressively worse and worse. By May I hit my lowest point and when I did my normal workout on the elliptical machine not only was my speed off by 20%, but my heart rate kept shooting up - 20 b/m higher than normal. My blood pressure shot up as well that summer - one day it hit 154/104!. Before that time my BP was normal or below normal. This continued for months. Gradually, over time, my workouts improved and my blood pressure fell. After about 18 months I was back to where I started from. I took every test the lab could give me and nothing was unusual. Here on this forum I learned that the Cipro can effect the mitochondria in the cells. This, apparently, regulates one's energy, so this makes sense. Some people never completely recover, but I did, fortunately. Absolutely nothing my doctor could do or prescribe. My wife had something similar happen to her about 20 years ago, but she ended up worse than me - after high dose septra. I now take d-mannose daily and have had no issues with UTIs. D-mannose has been mentioned previously on this forum. I have to say that almost everything I have learned about BPH, procedures and meds I learned here. My uro is a skilled surgeon but is not particularly helpful with information.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Howie, No, I don't CIC. A few times I had to go to the ER and have a Foley inserted for retention. I just don't believe it is my prostate...........Billy

• Edited

Tom,

I tried the D-Mannose after reading about it here...but it gave me diarrhea big time. After researching it, found that is a common side effect. I stopped taking it a couple days ago but still haven't returned to normal stools.

Is this not a problem for you?

Patrick

• Posted

I got referred back to the same Urologist who was looking at my BPH and he did a cystoscopy and showed me on the screen that my passageway through the prostate was shut down so the retention "seemed" to be prostate related but I can't ignore the coincidence that the retention started a few days after passing the kidney stone. In fact., I had more radiology and a cystoscopy to confirm that the medium-sized kidney stone was actually gone and out of my system. I kept thinking that, the stone may have sliced its was through something on the way out but it could just have been the "infection" they found when I first got tested. Still, I don't like coincidences. In any case, I had a void test about a week after I got the first Foley catheter and, in retrospect, I failed that test. The uros thought it was marginal so they sent me home and I wound up in an ambulance headed to the E.R. later that night. My E.R. bills for that month were $36,000 +. So whatever was causing my retention (100%), the cystoscopy showed that I needed a TURP.

• Edited

Patrick,

No problems with the D-Mannose. Maybe you're taking too much. I just sprinkle a little into a high protein blender drink. Do this twice per day. Been taking this for over a year with no issues and no UTIs of any sort.

Tom

• Posted

Tom,

You are probably right. The instructions say to take "1 level teaspoon (approx. 2 grams)" so I started putting a teaspoon into water every night. After I got diarrhea, I researched how many grams in a teaspoon and found 4.2 grams, so apparently I was taking over twice the recommended dose by not "leveling" the teaspoon. Who knew?

I'll try again when I finally lose the diarrhea. FWIW, I haven't had a UTI but started taking D-Mannose as a preventative after it was recommended here.

Patrick

• Edited

Patrick,

A level teaspoon is a lot of D-Mannose. I take much less - just sprinkle a little into my blender drinks. With all meds, pills etc. I always take half the recommended dosage to start. We are all different and you have to experiment a bit with the levels that work for you.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom,

I will take your advice and go a little easier when I resume taking it!

Patrick

• Edited

Patrick,

D-Mannose is the sugar component from Cranberries - note the "ose", similar to fructose and lactose and sucrose. Cranberries are know to have healing properties for bladder and UTI issues.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.