UTI

Posted , 7 users are following.

This in somewhat embarrassing.  Since I got sick about 11 years ago, I have had a ton of bladder infections (E. Coli).  I never had a bladder infections prior to getting sick.  Now, I seem to get them every 3-6 months.  I've seen a urologist, and he said my bladder was inflammed, but everything else is okay.  I also became slightly incontinant.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Is it part of ME?  Or am I falling apart in some other direction?  redface

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also get bladder infections. Every 6-12 months. My last one spread to my kidneys and I ended up in A&E.

I believe this is one of those tricky symptoms that could easily be caused by ME or by something else. My case worker that I have been talking to explained to me that because my immune system isn't functioning as it should, I am more prone to infections so that could be why I am getting bladder/sinus/ear infections so often.

• Posted

think, most probably yes Revenwood. as the skeletal muscles are affected by ME/CFS other muscles can also be affcted such as the bladder muscles. they can become more 'lax' due to lack of muscle tone. this makes you more prone to pick up UTI's and the immune system is too exhausted or too slow to intercept the bugs and do it's business so to speak. however, having said all that, if you haven't already been tested for diabetes, it would be advisable to do so.

best wishes Caitlin.

• Posted

I get tested every year.  I'm pre-diabetic, but not quite there yet.  This problem of mine has been going on for about 5 years now, even before being pre-diabetic.  I'm not sure that's the problem. 

Is it true that our immune systems are too slow? I do seem to catch whatever bug is going around.  Maybe that's the problem.

• Posted

When I first developed ME/CFS, I also starting having Interstitial Cystitus, which has become a chronic bladder issue. Per my doctor, I deal with it by avoiding certain foods, like citrus, nuts, anything acidic like tomatoes. It's annoying but just one of the many wonderful symptoms that can happen with this illness.
    • Posted

I don't have IC, but my urologist called it irritable bladder syndrome.  I don't quite fit the criteria for IC, but some food really do irritate my bladder.  The urologist said that having a irritated bladder wouldn't contribute to increased bladder infections, but I think he may be nuts.  As soon as my bladder starting hurting (irritable bladder), I also started getting bladder infections.  Thanks you the help!
  • Posted

I also started getting UTIs when I developed CFS. I feel it must be caused by a weakened immune system. Anna.
  • Posted

Sounds very familiar. I was getting UTI's 2-3 months for years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.