UTI

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been getting urinary tract infections and yeast infections quite often. my last UTI was 3 months,ago and then I had a yeast infection.

have a consultation with my gym in about 10 days to see what she says. Right now I have a IT I and was given nitrofuranton. I have been on this drug many times and never had a reaction.this time I am getting inauspicious and feel clammy. just called the Dr and she said not to stop the drug but to try eating yogurt with it. I am also urinating every 10 min. I also have an overactive bladder and a prolapse bladder. Have been on a program called PTNS and this has helped me. I also wear a pessiary to help with the prolapse. could a pessiary cause these infections?if she decides to remove it my prolapse would be very bad. I'm 82 so really don't want to undergo surgery for a sling.

I've dealt with bladder problems for years. I take probiotics, d mannose, azo to prevent yeast infections and I still get them.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Ann Marie,

you posted about this twice and I've already replied to the other post then just seen this. You've answered here a lot of the questions I just asked you and have also given your age - wow, bless you, you certainly don't want to be having surgery!

Eating a good live yogurt may well help you by replacing the good guys that the antibiotic will be killing off (along with the bad guys). Did you know you can also use live yoghurt topically (i.e. get some up there somehow!). She should have always told you to eat yoghurt as it would probably have prevented you from getting the last yeast infection.

The pessary may be the cause but impossible to say as I have no idea what it is. Is it a permanent device? Anything permanent can encourage a build up of bacterial colonies which will then cause problems.

Has she made sure that Nitrofurantoin is the correct antibiotic by doing a culture? It might be that Trimethoprim (Bactrim?) is better. Or it might be that you've had it so often before that your bugs are now resistant to it.

Sorry I'm not more help. In general I find that keeping your urine acid helps keep infection at bay, and you can do this by taking high dose Vitamin C every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.