UTI after a bath

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a bath now a UTI is this common ? I am anxious have panic attacks and dont want to go out . I am also very itchy 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona. I had two UTIs in six months, then got a seious kidney infection. My skin was dry and itchy also. I went on hrt and these symptoms have resolved. Ive been taking baths for years without problems. Sounds like hormones to me. Oestrogen decrease does lead to dryness and higher incidence of utis.
  • Posted

I would avoid taking baths or take a shower first then a bath. Your body is extremely sensitive, therefore, if any fecal matter got into the water then yes, you can easily contract a UTI. E.coli can easily spread in the water. With this said, you cannot use your typical fizz or bath gel as this is irritating to your private parts. Epsom salt and a little lavender oil or any other natural flower like chamomile can help. At this point your body cannot tolerate many of the soaps that contain a lot of fragrance and sodium Laurel phosphate. Even the gentlest soap can be irritating this comes from experience that I've had.

• Posted

Do you feel sometimes you have a UTI but tests are clear. Are you post menopausal 
  • Posted

I can't relate to the UTI (yet, anyway! Lol) but the itch and anxiety I can. For the last 3 nights I have taken benadryl night time. I got decent sleeps, which lessened my anxiety a bit (mine is always worse when exhausted) and the itching is gone. Not sure if you can take benadryl (if you are on something that contraindicates speak to pharma) but that helped me get over the hump. And for the UTI make sure you are on a GOOD probiotic. Hope you are well soon.

• Posted

Baths are similar to lying in a warm water soup made up of the soil on your body and bacteria, including e-coli, not to mention what's been left behind in the tub by the person who bathed before you.

Most soaps also contain sodium laurel sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate and other substances that are designed to make the soap foam, especially bubble baths. The foam enables the harmful substances in the bath water to go into and irritate all sorts of places it shouldn't.  I had a friend with a tipped uterus, who got vaginal infections constantly, until her gyn told her to stop bathing. Bath water was actually pooling in her vagina.  There is a known connection to UTI's in little girls and bathing in bubble baths.

I suggest you shower using an organic soap, rinse well, and apply lotion--don't bathe any more.  xx 

• Posted

Hi Fiona...I agree with Jennifer about using benedryl for the itchiness and just helping w anxiety for sleep. I just dont fo it every night. I also take a good probiotic daily, which my doc recommended after I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. (Gallstones didnt flare up until I started having peri issues!)

And Lynda is spot on with just abandoning the bath soak for a while. I only take a sit down bath maybe twice a year...for instance if I've gone too hard in a workout...and then it's in Epsom salts for no more than 10 minutes. Knock wood....I haven't been bothered by UTI in a very long time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

I can't use anything fragrant in the bath or I'll get a UTI, although I seemed to be OK with epson salts. 

Also, if I stop drinking enough water each day it will bring one on. 

Drink a ton of water!!

• Posted

I’ve had UTI’s most of my life and the last time I was prescribed Cipro(as given for most bladder, kidney issues) and it  gave  me tendon damage.  I couldn’t use my arm for awhile. I researched for natural cures and cured mine my drinking baking soda and water, prelief pills, aloe Vera pills, oregano pills, D mannose.  The vaginal area can become inflamed from ph being out of balance. Doctors are not much help.  Research Cystitis.  Having had UTI’s most of my life,  I agree with all the previous advice, also . I haven’t a UTI in a year after continuing the above mentioned regimen for six months. I still take the  aloe Vera daily. It helps other issues as well.   🦋

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.