UTI after rectocele & now yeast infection!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a rectocele  and vaginal wall repair  December 15, 2017 - I was told that the surgery went over two hours due to extensive prolapse issues . I  was kept 2nights and was sent home with hydrocodone 5 mg with acetaminophen  325 -

I stopped taking all pain meds by Christmas day - on the 26th of dec  I started experiencing itching all over my body that was just unbearable !  I took Benadryl 50 mg every 4 to 6 hours but was not getting any relief I was scratching my skin raw - I called my Doctor Who told me to contact my PCP because this could not have been an allergic reaction to the pain meds since I had already stopped taking them !  My Benadryl dosage was now up to 100 mg every six hours but now is New Year's day and I am now having difficulty peeing!!  One of the lovely side effects of the Benadryl - I also noticed blood in my urine - I know went to the emergency room - it turns out I had a UTI for which I was given antibiotics - and they stronger allergy medicine for the itching - today is the last day of my antibiotics and the itching is at best a five percent uncomfortable

- new problem - The antibiotic has now giving me I believe a yeast infection !! So besides the daily discharge which I believe is a strong odor(  The doctors office says it is normal due to dissolving stitches )  

I now have an itchy vagina  which still is sensitive due to stitches ! My follow up with Dr. is not until January 9 th!

What type of holistic appointments are available for this sensitive area ?

Help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adriana, sorry to hear things have gone awry after a good start. Don’t know about holistic, but if I get thrush, I don’t use cream. I get Canesten’s “Once” pill. It’s just one dose, but it always clears my thrush within 24 - 48 hours. Hope you get rid and back on track right away, keep positive. 👍🙏

• Posted

I agree the Canesten once pill acts really fast, I would use it & drink plenty of fluids. I personally think lukewarm water or green tea works best for me. ?

• Posted

Just a heads up, I found out I was allergic to the generic hydrocodone and it caused severe itching/allergic reaction. If I take namebrand Vicodin, I don’t get the allergic reaction. So it’s possible you may have a similar situation going on here. The doctors have to order the name brand which is the fight I can tell you! Norco is the same as hydrocodone as it is a generic so be aware of that. As for natural  remedies, I don’t have any answers for those. However, I had to stop the pain medicines within three days of the surgery because it would cause my gut to slow down. Prescription strength ibuprofen or Tylenol do not even touch the pain levels at this point so it does me no good to take those. I am 16 weeks out from surgery.  MRI shows a torn tendon and lots of damage but the surgeon says it wasn’t due to surgery. The symptoms only happened right after surgery but that’s my life.  

I have been known to call the pharmacy and ask them for advice for over-the-counter remedies. I’ve also been known to call my local health food store to see if there were natural remedies for whatever I needed. You may want to consider these options. I am very blunt with the pharmacist and the health food store people so they can be direct on what they know works and what does not work. Just an idea.  

• Posted

Hi Adriana. A good natural remedy for thrush is plain natural yogurt containing all the good bacteria your gut needs to get rid of thrush/candida infections. You will need to eat at least 200-300 mg's or more per day for as long as it takes. Then eat regularly especially after antibiotics which are the probable cause. I also read somewhere that putting it inside, maybe on a tampon if you can use one also helps to get rid of it. No good too soon post op of course but worth remembering. Yogurt worked for me after I had antibiotics for a bladder infection a few weeks post op. (Not the sweetened, fruity flavours of course)! lol wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.