UTI and food choices

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my third full day on Cipro.  I am drinking lots of water; still experiencing urgency and frequency but no other symptoms.  Drinking so much water is keeping urine very clear.

The biggest problem I have is the Crohn's.  Antibiotics can cause digestive trouble, but some of the foods I can usually eat are off limits as I am avoiding simple carbs, anything too starchy or sugary, at all - no pasta, rice, white bread, etc.  I can't have whole grains, bran, or anything with high fiber.  Usually, I do okay with oatmeal, but lately I've had to avoid it because there is some active disease and it was causing some problems.

I really need some kind of bread or carb that won't feed the UTI bacteria.  Looking online, I see that sourdough bread is an option.  Does anyone know if this would be okay with the UTI?

Also, does anyone know if unsweetened cranberry juice helps if the bacteria is not E. coli?  I think cranberry is the source for d-Mannose, but I don't have E. coli according to test results and don't want to drink something that won't help.  I also read about blueberry juice.  I know sugary fruit juices are not an option.

Trying to stay optimistic, but this is a nightmare.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, unsweetened cranberry juice helps. But also why don't you buy otc uricalm or azocalm or something to calm the frequency of urination? It takes away that feeling while you're on the cipro.

• Posted

I took Azo last week while on the Macrobid.  I didn't want to continue because the nurse practitioner said it should be taken only for two days.  A GP told me the same in January when I had the irritation but no bacterial growth.  I am trying the cranberry to see if it helps.

• Posted

Yes sourdough bread is so much better for us! Also cranberry unsweetened should help a lot for uti!
    • Posted

Thanks!  I've always loved sourdough.

• Posted

Just go to a doctor and get an evidence based answer.

Natural doesn't mean it's good for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.