UTI and period?!!Help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

So last week I was diagnosed w my first UTI ever.Cloudy urine,strong smelling and pelvic pain.Started on meds Thursday. I had chills too but no fever.yesterday I woke w TERRIBLE PELVIC CRAMPS and left groin pain and figured UTI but started w my period hours later ( 10 days early).Now I have really bad left groin pain and low pelvic discomfort.The groin pain being the worst.The problem is is I can't tell if UTI is getting worse or it is something  period related.I can't see the cloudy urine or smell anymore w my period now but the pains are bad.my history : left ovarian cyst( told small no worries) small fibroid,kidney stone on left ( small)..possible adenomyosis.

Anyway how do I know if it is the UTI worse or something weird w my period? I have no fever. These cramps in pelvic and spasms in groin are bad. Maybe it's both combined and just intense from thst?I would think a few days on meds ide be better .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

it doesn't sound like any UTI I've ever had. My symptoms are usually a desperation to frequently wee and intense burning at the end of a urine stream. When it's been left untreated and has spread, I've had the shivering and high temperature. I've never experienced pain in the groin and would suspect some other cause, although it is described as a symptom for interstitial cystitis.

have you had a urine sample tested?

Good Luck

chris.

• Posted

Hi there.I went to my dr complaining  of pelvic  discomfort,cloudy urine,bubbles in urine and a bad smell.They did a Swab and was negative so dumped it.three days later o went back as it was still there.this time they sent it out and called and said it was positive for UTI and did a culture for what med and started me on cipro.I felt bladder spasms at this time.

Then four days later I started bleeding 10 days early w I guess a pretty heavy period. The pelvic and groin pain is not new.Ive had a million tests as I have diverticulosis on left,a kidney stone (small) and an ovarian cyst. I'm told the diverticulitis always is fine w blood work periodically and scans.The stone I'm told should not cause pain as it's contained in one spot  and small. My urologist says if it where stuck ide be doubled over.I mentioned the UTI and could it have spread to my kidney and he said ide be very sick.Five weeks ago I saw a urogynocologist recommended by my gyno for possible adenomyosis or PFD.He did a MRI and said follow up w my gyno for cyst he saw on left.I see my gyno Friday and the urogynocologist again tomorrow to go over MRI. I'm so tired of being tossed everywhere but I have constant period like cramps,pain w normal BM's,left side pain that can radiate to back.

Possibly a few days ago was not my period?😱.I just had another culture done to check UTI and waiting.Can a UTI be mistaken for something else? I feel bloated nausous and lower discomfort still today   

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I would agree with Chris, your pains sound like something else, not a UTI.  You say your period was 10 days early?  That may not be a period.  You have a history of ovarian cyst, small fibroid etc. so please go to your doctor and have these all checked out.  Cyst can grow or multiply ditto the fibroid and both can cause bleeding - which will look like it's a period. 

A few days on meds are not the answer - until your doctor says it the answer!  Off you go - now!

• Posted

Hi there.Thanks for your reply.can you read my lengthy response to chris and tell me your thoughts.i was tested for the UTI and positive.is it possible a UTI can be mistaken for something else 
    • Posted

Hi Kelly,

I honestly have no idea, although I have heard that it's easy for other problems in 'that' area to contaminate a urine sample.  You say they took a swab - do you actually mean a swab as in they wiped you with something?  Normally they ask you to pee in a bottle but being careful not to touch the bottle on yourself.  A swab could be easily contaminated so not sure what they think you've got.

I know I said about having tests and cultures done and you seem to have had everything checked so I hope they're on the right track.  I'm a bit bothered when you say they they sent off the sample which it was positive so they did a culture then put you on Cipro, as that's what they usually give someone if they have no idea what the bug is.   Cipro is very strong and is 'broad spectrum' which means it'll kill just about anything.  If they knew what it was they should have given you a more specific and safer antibiotic.  Have you taken Cipro before?  I'm just worried as it can have some really nasty side effects which can last for a very long time, even after you stop taking it.  It really should only be used when all other options have been tried.  Please ask your doctor to give you something safer that is targeted for your actual infection. Or, if they're checking for UTI again and you're asking if it could be something else, maybe you shouldn't be taking Cipro anyway.

You say all the pain you're having started before you took the Cipro but please be aware of any new pains that start such as in your legs or ankles, arms and shoulders.  Cipro is well known for causing joint and muscle pains plus it can mess up your gut - not good if you already have DV.  Read the label of the Cipro packet and also look at the discussions on here under fluoroquinolones. 

Hope it all turns out OK,

• Posted

Im sorry.I meant a dip test w the UTI.They did that first and was negative then they sent it out.Dr said it came back positive or bacterial UTI.He mentioned cipro and i asked why as I know this med and it's effects all to well.I have been on it twice for diverticulitis as it's the drug of choice with Flagyl for DD.I can't take penicillin.The cipro clears the infection fast for me with DD.Anyway,he said when a culture is gone it tells the type of bacteria and what med to use and that's why the cipro.I do hate it and it does destroy my stomach with pains and I get upper thigh pains it as well.I took last one two days ago. The stomach pain I feel now im sure is from the med and it will take awhile to get better as it has in past.( I just started florastor probiotic)  I don't think it is causing the left side discomfort as I always have that. I really don't think I'll ever take it again but not sure what my option will be if I get a DD infection in the future. I can only hope this stomach irritation passes now that I'm off it. I'm awaiting blood work results now and another urine  culture to see if UTI is clear.The blood work is to check the diverticulosis, kidney,liver,WBC and inflammation so I guess anything serious will show in that.All I know is I'm tired of no concrete answers.😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.