UTI comes back few days later- Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've posted on here a few times but I've had a lot of experience with these urinary tract infections it's starting to become ridiculous. 

This will be the six time I've had to take antibiotics this year. THIS YEAR. 

I only ever had twice a year before this. 

I got the contraceptive implant in my arm earlier on this year in February after gaining a new sexual partner early January. Sex was more frequent in January than it has been after getting the implant, so I don't understand why they would start happening. 

I had three from February - April. During April all of my results came back negative so I had to fight it on my own. I did so, but during this time my first period after getting the implant in February came and lasted for about 10 days. This bout lasted about 2 weeks until it finally went away. 

My next period came about early June and lasted for the normal seven days. HOWEVER, two weeks later after the end of the last period i got my period during another UTI that also came back negative and yet showed up with Leukocytes and blood. My doctor theorises that my sample was way too diluted as I had had over a liter of water before the sample was taken. I was given trimethoprim which never works for me, and demanded keflex two days later when symptoms became unbearable. The keflex started to work within 12 hours like it has in the past in my experience. 

This is now the tenth day on that period, and my UTI has once again come back. 

I do believe the last UTI i got was because I did not go to the bathroom after sex and forgot to take the antibiotic I am supposed to take after intercourse. 

Yesterday, I had sex again but this time peed and showered. however I forgot to take the antibiotic. 

I had felt symptom free for like four days before it came back. 

Can anyone help me? Has anyone ever had any relation between UTI symptoms and their menstrual cycle? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that I had worked two eight hour shifts without appropriate underwear for a UTI suffered. They were silk and not cotton. 
  • Posted

I wish I had the answer for you...Good luck

I'm going through it myself

• Posted

I ended up getting Keflex again for this infection. My doctor took one look at the sample i gave and could immediately tell there was something wrong as it was so cloudy. 

24 hours later I am once again symptom free thanks to keflex.

I hope you find results for yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.