UTI connection?

Posted , 7 users are following.

First I want to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum. It has been so helpful to me as I am learning to deal with this, and I'm sure other newcomers feel the same way:-). I am curious about the connection between LS and frequent UTI. I have had them since I was a kid, with the most difficult time being six years ago after I had my son. I went to the doc, but he insisted it was just "hygiene issues." I have overcome the UTIs by taking lots and lots of cranberry capsules. So just curious how one condition is connected to the other.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've never had a UTI. I think the doctor likely didn't know what they were talking about, but a lot of doctors just don't know about this condition.
  • Posted

Maeflower, UTIs are nasty sure enough, your doctor sounds rather callous. Maybe you should see a urologist if you have recurring bouts frequently. I went through a period a few years ago where I had continuous cystitis, then just the continuous symptoms with no pathology. My uro/gynaecologist at the time told me it was rebound cystitis where the bladder is so used to reacting in a certain way it can't stop. The pain and frequency were real though and in the end she performed a bladder washout as a day patient in hospital. It worked. I didn't have LS then, well, didn't know I did.

Maybe when you think about it, with LS your fingers are always around there putting on creams and lotions and looking in mirrors etc. Would be easier to introduce bacteria than before LS I guess. 

• Posted

I don't know exactly what the correlation is, but I was plagued with UTI's after I had my twins.  It started after a catheterization from my c-section.  It was that vicious cycle of UTI, antibiotics, yeast infection.  I think I had 7 one year, it was miserable.  I think the anitbiotics created or at least contributed to a yeast problem in my intestines which exacerbated food intolerances.  Then came the LS.
  • Posted

Someone pointed out that there are two kind of bacteria that can give a nasty bladder infection.  One of them being the e-coli.  This one can not be cured with cranberry juice/capsules, I just recently learned while in the midst of a mysterious bladder infection, and needs anti biotica. It's also the bacteria that can easily be transferred from the anus to the urethra.  As another comment here pointed out - with LS you are constantly applying one cream or another.  The whole experience made that I've learned to become more precise yet with my hygiene.  
  • Posted

I've found that since I developed LS, everything down there is more sensitive in general and prone to irritation. In the time that my LS became really severe, I had two UTIs in the span of a month. UGH. I find that I can't use any products with chemicals, bleach, perfumes or dyes, or I'm in trouble wither way.

• Posted

Maeflower - really sorry you are having to suffer the combination of both UTIs and LS.  More than a year ago I began having recurring UTIs that became antibiotic resistant. My gp ran out of solutions and I was referred to a urologist. On my second visit she (urologist) noted the beginning stages of LS. That was last January. The good news is that we were able to get my UTIs under control with a regime of several very strong antibiotics. I am vigilant about hygiene  - not only wiping front to back, but using unscented soaps, cotton "granny" underwear, using my shower towel only once, and so  on. Unfortunately, the LS is worsening, despite my use of Clob and estrogeon cream to help with tissue atrophe. To get to my point... I horseback ride and I believe that activity has contributed to both conditions. Since stopping riding, I have not had a UTI.  I beleive the pressure on the area would worsen the LS, certainly make me uncomfortable. I don't however, believe one condition caused the other but I do beleive that my riding caused or exacerbated both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.