UTI every month for past three months

Posted , 2 users are following.

Please help me, I'm getting to my wits end about this and no doctor seems to care.

For the past three months I've been getting a UTI a few days before my period, literally the same amount of days at the same time in the evening. Doctor gives me antibiotics, I don't feel like they're working so I go back, they take a culture and it comes out as no growth then the UTI goes and comes back the same time next month.

I religiously have been taking d mannose 3 times a day, costing me about £15-£20 every 10 days and it's obviously not working.

I am 19, never had any problems like this before in my life until march. What in the world is going on.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So I just re tested my urine (before it tested for white blood cells and highly alkaline) and now it tested for no white blood cells but still highly alkaline.

After doing some research the possibility of intersistial cystitis is looking possible? Seeming as all my cultures come back negative.

• Posted

Hi Katie,

When I was about your age I had cystitis regulary for about a year then I changed jobs and never had it again!  Just before I left I was talking to a woman who was also often off work and it turned out she had the same thing (regular UTIs).  Whether there was 'something' about the loos there (two between about 12 women) or whether it was coincidence I'll never know.  The place was an office with nylon carpet, air conditioning, lots of electronics etc.  I moved because I couldn't stand it in the end and got an out-door job.  Just saying in case any of this rings a bell with you!

Or it could be hormonal changes  since it occurs at the same time every month.  Your doctor should know that protocol now is not to give antibiotics for a UTI as they often clear up on their own.  Obviously, if you keep taking ABx you run the risk of getting a bug that's resistant, not to mention the damage they do to the rest of you e.g. stripping the good flora from your gut and vagina (have you got thrush from them yet?  That'll be the next thing!).

What got you onto D-mannose?  If your cultures come back clear then there's no need to take it, is there?  Have you tried drinking good cranberry juice (some makes are only 10% but the better ones and lidl's own are 25%). This has been proven to help prevent bugs sticking to the bladder wall, so this may be a better bet than D-mannose.

It could be IC but you would need a cystoscopy to actually find out.  Try cranberry, drinking plenty and maybe check your urine acidity for a few days before you expect a UTI (if it's so regular!) so you can see if there's a significant change which leads to the feeling of an infection.

Also try reading through other discussions on here to see if anyone's been in the same boat - you may find answers here.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Honestly I can't think of why this is happening - I am experiencing extremely low moods before my periods which is a new symptom so this could indicate hormone problems. However being 19 that doesn't seem likely as I've been told it usually happens in (pre)menopausal women?

I take d mannose because even though my cultures always come back clear, after reading on google that cultures don't always show up bacteria ive scared myself into thinking there is bacteria there.. there must be if I get white blood cells in my urine?

This is so stressful, I'm close to cancelling a trip around Croatia because of this. It's bad enough when this happens when I'm at home let alone abroad

• Posted

And also I got thrush from the first lot of antibiotics I took! But not when I take trimethroprim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.