UTI for 2 months - long term antibiotic or another solution?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a long story but please bare with me as I am at my wits' end and would appreciated any advice/feedback!

About 2 months ago I developed a UTI while on holiday in France (I live in London, UK). I went to see a GP who did a dipstick test and confirmed that there was blood and pus in my urine. She gave me 10 days of antibiotics (Cefixime) which I took (although admittedly, I think i missed a couple of antibiotics).

After I stopped taking these, I still had symptoms so went to see a GP who prescribed me with 7 days of Nitrofurantoin. I couldn't get an appointment with my NHS GP that day so I paid to go and see a GP privately. They didn't do a dipstick test or send a urine sample off to a lab - they just went by the symptoms I described to them and gave me the antiobiotics.

After finishing this course, I still felt that the infection hadn't gone away. I got an appointment with my NHS GP who sent my urine off to be cultured. It came back with a high level of bacteria and pus cells but no growth. My GP referred me to a urologist who sent me off for various tests (full bloods, cytology, scans) - everything came back normal. I also spoke to him about my most recent urine culture and he said that as there was no growth, he would not put me on antiobiotics. Instead he asked me to take D Mannose and Cranberry Tablets three times a day.

I tried this for a couple of weeks but still didn't feel any better so I went back to my GP who did another urine culture and sent it off to the lab. Again, it came back with high bacteria and pus but no growth. She prescribed me another 7 day course of Nitrofurantoin, which I took, but still didn't feel any better.

On Friday I went to see a urogynecologist. He suggested putting me on a long-term low dose of antibiotics - probably Nitrofurantoin. One of my main concerns is whether this will work given that i have already been on Nitrofurantoin twice (albeit a higher dose for a shorter amount of time - 7 days), and this clearly didn't work? It's also concerning that the last urine culture I had said that my infection was sensitive to Nitrofurantoin, which I took for 7 days, and the UTI still didn't clear up! The urogynecologist also did a very brief examination and said that the outside of my vagina looked quite red/sore and suggested using a thrush cream on it.

Just by way of background I am a 34 year old female. I had recurrent UTIs in my 20s for a few years (brought on by intercourse). The past year or so, I have probably had 5 UTIs and I'm not sure what has brought them on as I have not been sexually active.

My main symptoms are pressure on my bladder and pain when urinating. My vagina also feels very sore and irritated.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice in relation to treating a very stubborn UTI that clearly won't go away? Are long-term antibiotics a good solution? I'm just worried because although I have had MANY UTIs before, I have never had one that has lasted this long. They have always cleared up after the first round of antibiotics.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and as I've said before, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

x

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had exactly the same situation, dipstick confirmed infection but culture said no growth. This went on for 6 months. I had a scan which cane back normal too. For me it turned out I had a bladder prolapse, I suggested it to my GP and an examination confirmed it. My symptoms have improved greatly since I've avoided high impact exercise. Hope you find a solution soon.

• Posted

i have had a similar experience with nitrofurantoin and macrobid. you should report this to the MHRA or FDA. i think this antibiotic is not safe for patients with neorogenic bladder problems. do you have odd problems with your foot or bowel as well?

i found my utis stopped when coamoxyclav was prescribed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.