UTI for 5 days, trimethoprim not giving any relief. Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Im 23 years old and male.

I started getting a UTI last Tuesday night. Painful urination, tiny amounts of blood end of stream, slight back pain, very smelly urine also.

I went to the doctors on Thursday and was prescribed Trimethoprim however I've taken 8 tablets (4 days worth of tablets) and nothing has changed.

Should I switch to nitrofurantoin as I've had little to no relief, only the odour of the urine has seemingly gone.

Is nitrofurantoin more effective at killing UTI's than trimethoprim?

Also, can you take D Mannose with antibiotics and is it useful for clearing up UTI's?

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Usually my doctor gets a lab test as to which bacterium is in the urine. They can then recommend which anti-biotic will be more effective. I have found Nitrofurantoin works every time now.
    • Posted

Good news!

After taking Nitrofurantoin for two days, my symptons have subsided massively. No blood in urine, no odor and no pain during urination. Still have a bit of a back ache which is bizarre, I wonder if I got it as a side effect from Trimethoprim?

Anyway, advice to anyone who also didn't respond well to Trimethoprim, try Nitrofurantoin it has worked wonders on me.

• Posted

Good that the switch has worked out for you.

I'm a 48 year old bloke who thought he was fit and healthy, no UTI or blood in urine all my life, then suddenly last Friday night started getting pain peeing, then light red urine appeared in loo bowl, and at 2am Sat morning I was peeing clots of blood which scared the living s**t out of me!

Went to A&E at 5.30am after hardly any sleep and umming and arrghing, was eventually seen, provided and sample that looked like red wine punch which they dipsticked. As I was in loads of pain down in that are they prescribed me co-codamol and eventually co-amoxiclav tablets for 5 days. Visible blood in urine cleared but still getting pain on peeing, having to go regularly and am drinking loads of fluids! The GP I spoke to Monday have Rx me 2 more days of antiobiotcs so hoping it clears up but concerned about remaining pain and underlying cause - Prostate or bladder problem?

As for your back pain might that be kidney related and maybe some infection had started traveling up there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.