UTI for 6 months??! HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

So just to set the scene of what i'm going through, about six months ago i became sexually active. The day of actually losing my virginity I noticed a burning sensation during peeing on the day after (i didn't know you had to pee after). i didn't think much of it but further research made it clear that it is a big deal and should get cleared up by antibiotics. Since then i've been getting so many different symptoms in variations of recurring infections.

To describe my symptoms:

- burning sensation 

- frequently urinating 

- dark colour urine sometimes 

- foul smell urine 

- pain during sex

- feeling sick 

- shivers sometimes 

To be honest the symptoms vary quite considerably. For example my previous UTI had a horrid smell but i don't have that with the one current. My doctor keeps giving me macrobids antibiotics, and don't get me wrong, they do help, but in about 3 weeks later my UTI comes back. My doctor told me that no infection came up in my urine and she now wants me to do a STI test to rule it out. I should mention to that every time i get cured by the antibiotics, me and my boyfriend start getting sexually active again... but surprise surprise the UTI returns. there's not really a pattern, last month we had sex 3 times and one the 4th it came back. I make sure I pee and shower and everything but i can just feel when it's coming. 

Dmannose doesn't help either, nothing does.. not even cranberry supplements. I've just got to drink as much water as possible. If i get a little dehydrated, then it's 2 hours curled up in a ball as the pain comes in waves, even if i do or don't pee.. the pain will always follow. I can't drink any sort of fizzy or caffeinated drink or the pain gets worse too. I feel like having a possible STI is my only bet but my boyfriend is highly confident that he doesn't have one. 

It's really upsetting me, i genuinely feel sorry for myself because i love my boyfriend to bits and i'm starting to refuse sex out of fear of the pain. This will obviously affect our relationship. I just hate it, especially @ the people that said sex would be great... i'd give anything to go back to my healthy self lol. 

I'm just desperate if anyone has any answers / advice. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I got my first uti after starting sex and it went on for a long time until seeing a good urologist.  These infections are very very hard to get rid of unfortunately and I've never been the same always worried about getting one.

My advice to you is think about your health and don't worry about losing your boyfriend.  If he really cares, he'll be around for you.  I know that's hard to hear because been there too.

Get a good doctor and be totally checked out.  STI is nothing to mess with nor UTI.  Good luck and when you get results you'll know which way to go for cure.

• Posted

I would just add be sure your boyfriend gets checked out too.  Why should you be risking your long term health by taking all those antibiotics?  He only said he's "highly confident" - which will mean nothing if you end up with serious problems because of multiple courses of macrobid or more damaging ABs. 

Remember each time you take Macrobid or any other AB that they are killing off your good bacteria that are an essential part of you and how you function.  Loads of research has been written recently about how our microbiomes govern us, not the other way about! 

Guys have a way of taking refusal of sex as either a direct insult or an excuse to find someone else.  If he truly loves you (and he should if you're having regular sex), he should come with you so you can checked out together and also fully support you while you go through this. 

A UTI after first sex is really very common as losing your virginity causes internal trauma no matter how careful and kind the partner is.  Plus some other person's personal bugs have been introduced into your world - whether they carried an infection of not is neither here nor there.

Get checked and be safe.  You can still be in love at the same time!

• Posted

*UPDATE*

Firstly, i’m gonna post this online as I feel as I owe at least someone some sort of relief as I’ve had off and on “burning sensations” for about 6 months. Basically, I had very similar symptoms ever since I started dating my current boyfriend. Seeing as it was my first time, I always assumed that he triggered something which cause the pain. After many tests for UTI’s I ALWAYS came back clear, very frustrating! My symptoms were quite horrific as I always had to drink water, even slight dehydration cause horrific burning - sometimes lasting hours. The symptoms always varied, as some days I wouldn’t even go to the toilet and the burning sensation would progress. Anyway to cut a long period of pain and misery. This past week... for the first time in 6 months... i’ve been pain free??!  

This came to a major shock / confusion towards what actually caused my pain. I tried thinking of anything I did different, and it came to me. IT WAS MY UNDERWEAR. ever since I started dating my boyfriend, I always wore nylon underwear (big mistake). I honestly NEVER thought nylon would cause as much pain as it did. So far i’ve not had any burning what so ever! so i urge anyone who has similar symptoms, buy new underwear! (preferably cotton) and see if it helps. don’t be doubtful - it’s worth a shot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.