UTI FOR FOUR WEEKS. HELP!

Posted , 7 users are following.

It’s been four weeks that i have had a uti on and off.... mostly on. It’s driving me insane. I have been on macrobid 7 days. Nitrofurantoin 5 days. And finally Cipro for 10 days. As soon as i was done the antibiotic i felt better for maybe 24-48 hours and then it started right back up again. I was finally referred to a urologist but i don’t go for another week and a half. I am absolutely miserable. I am drinking nothing but water. I am taking cranberry supliments and watering down some OJ in the morning to help my immune system. I am taking azo for the pain and urgency which makes me nauseous. Some days are worse then others. I have no idea what this could be but i no longer think it’s a uti. My culture came back on my last visit to the doctor with no growth so they are not sure why i have another one. They told me to just wait until i see the urologist but i am in full panic at this point and totally uncomfortable. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Phone the urologist and beg them to squeeze you in right now , it’s an emergency . You are right , if this were a simple uti , it should be gone after that many antibiotics . (Macrobid and Nitrofurantoin are the same thing ) . If they won’t make an exception go to the emergency room .
    • Posted

They said it sounds like my bladder is thin and the toxins are just “leaking in” and need me off medicine for a full week before they can do proper testing. What does that even mean?!
  • Posted

It all sounds very much like interstitial cystitis to me , the bladder wall is not thinning , the inner lining is broken , so the bladder wall is partially exposed to the acid in your urine . It’s almost like a stomach ulcer , just in your bladder . Just google it , and there are some good videos about that on YouTube .
  • Posted

Oh how it is helpful to find im not the only one with this problem.  Awaiting urologist but waiting list. So many antibiotics and the trimethroprim made me so sick.  The macribid three times has cleared it then a few days later its back.  It came back e coli more than once, then said clear.  Now i dont know what to do.  I also suffer from severe anxiety and depression. Dr has given me estrogen pessaries but all they do is give me insomnia and hot saeats,  surely this isnt right when over 60.   I am petrifiedmof what urologist will want to do to me but the constant running to loo and pelvic pain isnt good.  Do younhave any blood, i dont. Does anyone else suffer this and what's the answer, feels like nerves in that area are all jangling.

• Posted

I do have blood in 90% of the test i take which is also concerning 
    • Posted

Common to have blood in urine especially with infection lingering.

Once you finished antibiotics.. Continue taking preventive for Uti.

• Posted

I have been doing that going on roughly 5-6 weeks now ... still have slight symptoms. 

I am now drinking apple cider vinegar and taking an otc probiotic.

• Posted

A quick update :

I went to urologist and the did a urine sample and a kidney check. Nothing wrong in either so they are not sure why i still have slight symptoms . I have to wait another MONTH to get a cystoscopy done... 

• Posted

Just for the heck of it , get yourself a treatment for yeast infection . They sometimes mimic the symptoms of utis .  It won’t do you any harm to treat yourself , even if it should turn out something different . 
    • Posted

Do they have like a pill or something i can take? I have never had treatment for a yeast infection ....
    • Posted

There are several over the counter treatments , usually a combo of cream with a pill . They are all good at clearing the yeast out in no time . I don’t know where you are , but here the two top sellers are Canesten and Monistat .
  • Posted

Did you know Micronidazole kills C Diff which is given as well as Ciprofloxcin in combination to prevent the C Diff but it is only prescribed by some!  As you may know C Diff is a serious yeast type infection that bites into the flesh ---nasty.!!!!!  apparently a sufferer with C Diff is on the bog many many times and is not the normal type of the runs..... Oftn pain and blood in the watery motions as well and is debilitating as well!  Doctor can easily do a dianostic at the lab for C Diff but they don't seem to be keen enough re the UTI's that sufferers are

plagued with    ----  WHY ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.