UTI getting worse from medicine or something else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have UTI for two to three weeks now. I recently visited a doctor, who gave me one shot for three days (monday, tuesday and wednesday). During those three days, I drink medicine she gave me. One of them was Norflox TZ and four other medicine (she didnt really tell me what kind of medicine it was). I drink five of those medicine a day except for Norflox, I have those twice a day. At first t seems to be getting better. Until today (wednesday) when i use the bathroom, it was burning (no sharp pain). Then after the doctor gave me a shot and I went back home, my urine have turn darker yellow.

I have been drinkingg water a lot except during the day at school. Are the medicine bad for me? Or is it the shot? What should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my opinion, no UTI should go on for 2+ weeks if you are on the right medication. Is your doctor doing urine cultures?

I would suggest always knowing which drugs you are given and researching them to find out the side effects and how effective they are.

Your darker colored urine could just be because you are not hydrated enough. I also drink plenty of water, but my urine color varies from very light to dark yellow, depending on time of day and how much I have had to drink.

• Posted

I'm an RN and also been suffering from UTIs my whole life. Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your stomach and suppress your immune system to fight infections naturally, that is why you're feeling sick and the antibiotics become less and less helpful. You should stop taking them and take the natural D-mannose supplement on the daily basis. I have UTI's maybe 2-3 per month without D-mannose and 0 if I take it daily! It will keep flushing all the bacteria out of your bladder and stop it from adhering in the first place. Also, please purchase a good probiotic supplement to replace the good bacteria into your body in order to heal and feel better. P.S Did you ever look into the underlying problem/health issue that causes your UTI in the first place? I was clueless about where my came from until my gyno told me I had Bacterial vaginosis which causes my chronic UTIs, very often women don't have any symptoms of vaginal infections but in fact whatever is in there can enter your bladder and cause a UTI.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Are you in India? The name Norflox makes me think you are. This is the same drug as Norfloxacin which is not much used in the USA or UK any more. It is a very strong antibiotic from a group called the Fluoroquinolones. These will get rid of most infections but also have a history of causing painful side effects in many people.

Your uti has lasted for too long and it may need proper investigation. Have they done a culture of your urine to see what is causing the problem? You talk about school so does this mean you are quite young or do you mean a college or university - your age here is quite important as Norflox is not indicated for use in children under 16.

If you get other pains or aches, especially in your legs and joints, do not take NSAIDs (painkillers such as Ibuprofen) as these can make the pains worse. Also do not let a doctor give you any steroids for the same reason. Don't exercise if you get pains, try to rest as much as you can. Most doctors do not believe that Norflox can cause problems but the side possible effects are all listed in the package leaflet (and on line). Drink plenty and drink or eat lots of live yoghurt as the good probiotics will help your stomach and kidneys.

I'm sorry if this sounds frightening but you did ask if the medicine was bad for you and I can't lie to you - it maybe wasn't good. Your first problem is to recover from the uti so please make sure your urine has been cultured so that the doctor knows what is causing the problem - it may be something else. Please tell your doctor that you are allergic to all of the Fluoroquinolones and that you must NEVER have any more. This sounds a bit dramatic but you have to protect yourself and this is the only language the doctors understand. Say you couldn't breathe or anything that will make them believe you. You have had a lot of Norflox and any more, or a dose of one of the other Fluroquinolones (e.g. Cipro), could very easily cause you a lot of harm and pain.

Take care and I hope you recover soon.

• Posted

Hey Maria,

Its been a while since you posted. How are you feeling now?

I was reading your post and realized I could help. My gf also suffered from UTI for quite a while and the sad part was after drinking all the prescribed drugs, it recurred again after a while.

A friend recommended she took Harmony D-mannose tablets. We got some from amazon and after taking a few tablets she was much better. These are 100% natural tablets that clears your bladder and urinary tract of infections and bacteria. She is fine now with no problems. The tablets can also be taken as prophylactic to prevent recurrence.

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.