UTI gone but still pain and symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys. So i had a UTI. Went to the drs and did a urine culture. Came back with ecoli bacteria and was put on antibiotics. I was still having pain after peeing and discomfort so I went back and they did another urine culture. It all came back normal but she put me on Roxin which obviously didnt do much because apparently there is no longer an infection. She sent off a swab also which came back all normal.

I had an ultrasound today and DR has referred me on to an urologist (which has extensive wait times at the moment). 

After i pee i burn and feel uncomfortable for a long time. It also feels like im constantly leaking urine or something....its qutie frustrating and debilitating to my mental state.

has anyone had anything similar? My Dr said it may be trigonitis but I am really not too sure. I dont want to be leaking urine constantly at my age (24 yrs old/female) 

Is it even possible for my bladder to be inflammed after having an UTI which is no longer there?

Bah! Worried and want to cry.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Quanny, 

Sorry to hear you are going through this, I know how you feel. I had an incredibly horrible UTI when I was 11 years old (I am now 23 yrs old/female) and even after the infection was gone I still felt discomfort during urination. It varies in pain, and most of the time it is tolerable and the pain leaves within 10 minutes and I can get back to work. The only time it is brutally painful and I can't do any work is when it is an actual UTI. 

I have had this for 12 years, and have only now realised how abnormal it is and have started seeing urogynecologists as I have chronic thrush too. 

I am afraid yes it is very possible for the bladder to be irritated and inflamed when there is nothing there. I am currently being investigated for interstitial cystitis, which is the chronic inflammation of the bladder with no known cause and mimics a UTI. The difference is, there is no infection but you still feel that horrific pain. The pain people feel with IC varies considerably, with some just feeling dull aches to others feeling severe discomfort which can ruin lives. I've heard mixed reports that it gets worse with age, and some people have it for life whereas in other cases it has been known to go away on its own. Most who have interstitial cystitis get it after menopause due to the hormone changes, its not common for women below the age of 30 to get it. I'm hoping that this isnt the case, and that neither you or I have it because even now, I get panic attacks that can ruin work life. 

I, however have never been suggested to have trigonitis. I might bring that up with my urogyno! This year has been a special year getting UTI's every 3 weeks since february, but now I am UTI free for 2 months. During my 'healing process' so to speak, i had horrible leakage problems and had to wear a pad. I also had sudden urges to urinate. In the present though, I am peeing normally once again (6-8) times a day and i'm drinking 1.5-2 liters of water a day. 

I would honestly suggest chugging that water (within reason), and take cranberry supplements. Do not drink the juice as it may contain addition sugars which can aggravate, not to mention you'd need to drink more than 2L a day to get the desired effects according to a few studies. 

I also suggest ural powders in the mean time to help with the burning. 

I know I wasn't much help, but I do understand through years of experience that sharing your experiences with other people can help with the mental healing process. A lot of people don't realise the mental impact this can have on the people enduring the issues. Having that kind of pain in that area can be borderline traumatising. 

I hope you find some answers! 

• Posted

Quinny I have actually just done some research on trigonitis and it actually resembles the symptoms I feel exactly!
    • Posted

Thankyou soo much for your reply!!! I have also searched up on IC quite a bit since my symptoms...issue is that i DID have a UTI whereas IC just mimics it. I mean there still is a chance that it could be IC but whatever it is....is worrying me sick with anxiety. I feel sick to my stomach from embarrassment...always feeling like im leaking....so i have also been wearing a liner. I hope it is just trigonitis and goes away sad I dont want to be "incontinent" at my age!! and for the rest of my life! sad I can deal with it when i reach old age...sure...but not this young! 

I really thank you again for taking the time of day to reply to this!!! Im not alone with this experience! makes me feel better :D

• Posted

Im also so sorry to hear that you get UTIs so frequently. It must be debilitating!!! I hope for your sake they dont come back! Keep me posted on how things go with you x
  • Posted

Hi, has anyone suggested it may be Interstitial Cystitis - antibiotics do nothing for this complaint AND green tea and Cranberry a no no as they cause more inflammation. Try Serrapeptase tablets - they fight inflammation and worth looking up on the internet. Good Luck

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean! IC mimics. I did actually have an infection so not too sure! Will sus those tablets out! Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.