UTI hasen't resolved

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a UTI that progressed to kidney infection I'm on day 5 oral antibiotics who has any experience what's the usual recovery time for a kidney infection ??  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The answer to this depends on a few factors including what bacteria are involved. I would think that the antibiotics would need to be taken for at least 10 days followed by a repeat urine culture test.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply 

Well I'm not sure exactly which bacteria the Dr. never did mention it to me but he put me on Cefix antibiotic for a week and another antibiotic for 10 days I'm still feeling tired and in pain the symptoms obviously didnt resolve

• Posted

surprisingly i just called my Dr. and the urine sample is clean of bacteria I'm thrilled aswell but my other tests revealed blood in urine and + bacteria and high ESR ..... I still feel the back pain what does that even mean ? 
  • Posted

Andrew is absolutely correct regarding strains of bacteria. You can ask your GP for a copy of the report but he should be doing follow up testing on your urine and possible bloods.

I am in Hospital now for the second time in ten months with UTI and Kidney Infection. It took from November till the end of January before the correct Antibiotics could be found to control the infect. Watch out for them giving you Trimethoprim

• Posted

ooh sorry to hear that ,,, that was pretty much a long tme 

do you have any idea why it took them that long to figure out the correct antibiotic ?

Today is day 6 and my back still hurts I'm just gonna finish my full course and go back to the doctor to figure out what's next 

Thanks for ur reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.