UTI infection

Posted , 6 users are following.

My wife is suffering UTI infection. she is taking cipro 500 mg twice a day with cranberry extracts available here in Pakistan. Gorst doctor could not decide the reason of back pain and frequent urine. She felt swear pain in her lower back 4 weeks ago and doctor gave her pain killer injection. Urine test was fine at that time. After four weeks she felt pain again with frequent burning urine. Doctor gave her veloceff and cranberry extracts butthe feeling was same. doctor started cipro 500 mg twice a day. Blood traced and pus cells in Urine test. 24 hours passed taking cipro but the situation is same. what should we do to get appointment from.urologist or gynacologist ? please advise.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Has your wife had a urine culture to find out exactly what the infection is?  Cipro is a very strong antibiotic and can sometimes cause side effects but sometimes won't get rid of certain infections.  It's very important to find out what is causing the problem.

She should continue to take the Cipro as 24 hours hasn't really given it a chance to work.  Hopefully she is starting to recover now as you posted 23 hours ago. 

I very strongly suggest that, if the problem continues, she doesn't take a second course of Cipro as the side effects can be very severe in some people. Ask for a different antibiotic and one that is exactly right for the infection that she has. 

• Posted

I don't advise anyone to take Cipro for UTI..You gave good advice in other discussions.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. No the situation is same. she is still suffering backpain and urine urgency. No culture conducted as doctor did not advised us. After reading many articles, cluture was necessary to find out exactly what the infection is. Should we culture now as one of the lab suggested that culture is npt useful after taking antibiotic.

We have appointment for CT scan tomorrow. One 2 D ultrasound reported that she had a cyst and 5mm stone in kodney but doctor told me that 2 D is not a enough to find it. we had 4 D ultrasound and there was nothing reported. UTI excluded innthis scan. we are very upset in this situation, please advise what we should do. Should we continue cipro ? CT or culture is recommended. I f culture them suggest urine or blood culture. many thanks.

Report this

? 0

Start your own discussionReply to owais49530's discussion

• Posted

I would really suggest against anyone doing a culture. While they may be able to identify some bacteria, they can only identify up to 10% of know bacteria. It's also old technology, and many labs that do cultures pull the plates after a day or two when they really need 5 days to two weeks to be able to properly grow the bacteria.

• Posted

what is the alternate of culture? How we come to know the exact infection casues.
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply. No the situation is same. she is still suffering backpain and urine urgency. No culture conducted as doctor did not advised us. After reading many articles, cluture was necessary to find out exactly what the infection is. Should we culture now as one of the lab suggested that culture is npt useful after taking antibiotic.

We have appointment for CT scan tomorrow. One 2 D ultrasound reported that she had a cyst and 5mm stone in kodney but doctor told me that 2 D is not a enough to find it. we had 4 D ultrasound and there was nothing reported. UTI excluded innthis scan. we are very upset in this situation, please advise what we should do. Should we continue cipro ? CT or culture is recommended. I f culture them suggest urine or blood culture. many thanks.

• Posted

Did her culture come back with an infection? Why is he giving her cipro? And why 500mg twice a day? That is alot. I took same Mg twice w day and after i finished with cipro in was sick for weeks with stomach issues because cipro was too strong. People I know take 250mg of cirpro twice a day which total 500MG.  Yoir wife needs a culture to see how high infection is and what antibiotics would help her. Do you have an urgent care need you? Mayne take her to a walk in clinic.

Good luck 

• Posted

Urologist diagnosed that it is not UTI as it flashes becteria automatically afyer 3 or 4 days. He examined urine teer again. Blood traced in it as well. pu cells are 4 -6 EPI cells 2 -3 RBCs /HPF 3-4. PH is 6.0

He told us that there might be a tiny stone in kidney not UTI. Voren tablet and Cenova tablet (Cranberry extract with vitamin C & E) by the urologist. He stopped cipro. He advised us to take less water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.